How to Clean Bird Poop Off Car Window
It is often the most inconvenient time when we find ourselves with a bird dropping on our vehicle’s windshield or side windows, like when we leave work for home. It can be quite embarrassing and difficult to remove as well. But don’t worry, there are ways to remove those nasty droppings from your vehicle’s exterior without much hassle at all! There are many different methods of removing bird poop from your car so that you can avoid being embarrassed by the situation next time it happens. For this reason, in this article, I will discuss how to clean bird poop off car window. So let us get started.
Step-wise Guide on How to Clean Bird Poop Off Car Window:
Right after you see the bird defecate on your car window, switch off the engine and roll down the windows.
Tip: If you are in a traffic jam where wind can carry away bird droppings, do not switch off the engine and keep your windows rolled up.
Use a paper towel to clean all the bird waste from outside of your windshield. Clean it like you would clean regular dirt/dust with paper towels. When cleaning, please do not use any harsh chemicals as they will damage your car paint job or exterior surface of windows. Regular water alone should be enough to clean off silvery-gray streaks left by birds on cars. Also, do not rub hard against the glass surface, as this could lead to scratches in your car’s windshield.
Tip: Use micro-fiber cloth or dryer sheets to wipe this off the glass. This will prevent scratches and also give you a clearer view of the light.
Once done, roll down your windows again and let them sit for a minute till wind/air pressure blows away any remaining less visible bird droppings from inside of your car windows. Not all bird poop needs to be visible on the outside to routinely clean it. Wind can carry away even residue cleanings on the interior surface of windows which can get grease-stained and cause difficulty cleaning later on.
Now you are ready for an optional step 5 where you can use white vinegar with water to help remove stains caused by bird droppings.
Pour 2 tbsp white vinegar and 3 cups of water into a spray bottle, and shake well. Spray this solution on the window where it gets sprayed on bird poop stains to help remove bird poop stains from car windows. Let the spray sit for about 5 minutes before scrubbing it off with a paper towel or micro-fiber cloth (this is optional). If you do not have any vinegar, plain water can be used instead of white vinegar in step-5 above.
Once done, clean around door frames and the inside surface of the window using dishwashing liquid diluted with warm water to remove all traces of bird poop and dirt/grease buildup caused by feeding birds. Take your time while cleaning because proper cleaning only takes a few minutes.
Tip: You can purchase water-repellent nanospray paint to protect your glass from bird poop stains and improve visibility through windows. This will cost you about $20-$30 per bottle depending upon the brand, and one can easily last you 6 months or more.
The other option is to scrub the outside of your car window with hot soapy water after every wash/bath (this should be done if there is outdoor access to your garage). This will prevent birds from using it as a toilet when they happen to land on it and cannot fly back at that moment due to engine vibrations, etc.
Precautions While Performing How to Clean Bird Poop Off Car Window:
- Wear protective gloves
- Before cleaning the bird poop, wipe off any excess fluid with absorbent material (paper towel or newspapers)
- Do not try to clean tough bird droppings while standing on a ladder. It is dangerous. Try to use it from a gap of 1-2 feet height to avoid direct contact with these drops of feces.
- Avoid inhaling the dust or fumes rising out from the droppings while trying to remove them from your car window. Use high-quality respirators and air filtration masks if you are worried about your health or that of your family members who may be exposed to such stuffiness inside your house after removal of the materials of your glass windows by using chemical sprays or powerful cleaners.
- Do not try to clean out the bird poop from car windows by using water alone, unless it is a case of fresh droppings and not dried-up ones. If you try to remove these residues with all possible means, you will most likely only end up spreading them around on your windows glass surface. So, to avoid this total waste of time and effort, use chemical sprays or special cleaners specially formulated for cleaning off stubborn bird droppings and other related traces like bird nests and feathers.
- Be patient while trying to clean off hardened bird poop from car window surfaces. It takes time and patience but eventually, you would be able to do so properly without any problem whatsoever.
How to Prevent Birds From Excreting on Car Windows?
You can take some steps to prevent birds from landing and pooping on your car’s windscreen. This will help reduce the amount of time it takes to clean bird droppings.
Eliminate Bird Feed:
If you have a feeder in your backyard, the best thing to do is eliminate it because having birds around means they may want to land on your house or even your car! The moment I eliminated my bird feeder, I never saw another bird poop on my windscreen again for months.
Of course, you’ll eventually see bird poop again if you put up a new feeder, so make sure that you regularly check for any signs of droppings so you know when to get rid of the bird feeder once more.
To avoid cleaning up bird poop from your car window, get rid of any bird feeders.
If there is a large tree in the area where you park your car, try to trim most of its branches because birds will be able to perch on top and excrete right onto your windshield!
Other Solutions On How to Clean Bird Poop Off Car Window: –
Purchase some fake owl decals at a local store like “The Home Depot”. The decals come with suction cups that you can stick on the driver-side window so that when a bird sees it, it will think that an owl is watching. If possible, place one decal on each side of the car’s front windshield. – Once you see birds pooping on your car, quickly roll down a side window and try to scare them off using a water gun. – Place some tree branches in front of the windshield so that it will block birds from landing on your vehicle.
It is important to know how to clean bird poop off car window because birds are considered flying pests, and if this kind of irritating situation has targeted your car, you may find it difficult to remove the stains left behind. So, it is better to have a plan beforehand so that you can remove the worry out of your mind while handling such an unfortunate incident from happening again anytime soon!