How to Join Granny Squares with Double Crochet
One may think doing crochet is your grandmother’s or mother’s thing, but what they don’t understand is that while you are wasting your time not doing anything or trying to find something productive, you can take up crochet and spend your time making beautiful items. If you have someone who likes to do crochet, the chances are that you have seen some granny square. So, why not take those granny squares and make something out of them. That is why we are going to teach you how to join granny squares with double crochet.
What is Granny Square?
There are many ways you can do crochet. The art of stitching is different from, and granny square is one of them. The style of the granny square has been around for a long time. You can already guess from the name that it is something to do with grandmothers, so it has to be an old item.
The granny square crochet working style has more to a traditional side to it. It is done by producing the crochet work from the center to leading up to outward. The design will make it look like a lace design.
Granny square is usually small size of square crochet that can be used for making lots of things. You can make little purses, pockets, grabbing items, and other small things with one square. You can even join several together to make a blanket, pillow cover, bags, and other things.
Creating granny squares will give you opportunities to do many things, as you have noticed already. But a lot of people may find it challenging to start the granny square. But once you figure out the way, you will see it is quite easy. In fact, this feeling is visible for even the easiest crochet ideas.
People usually like to join granny square to make different kinds of stuff. There are few ways you can join the squares, and one of them is with double crochet. And we are here to tell you how to join granny squares with double crochet.
What is Double Crochet?
Now that you know what a granny square is, you need to know about double crochet as well before you can learn how to join granny squares with double crochet.
Double crochet is a stitching method for doing crochet, where you need to create a taller stitch and a single stitch. While combing them together, you will have your double crochet.
How to Do Double Crochet?
Before anything, you need to know your way of making double crochet. It is quite simple to understand, and once you know how to do it, you will need a few more practices to keep everything under control. Let’s see how to do double crochet.
- To start double crochet, you need to make a chain with a slip knot.
- To make a slip knot chair, you need to knot the yarn in your needle. Make a loop and put the needle through the loop. Wrap the yarn on the needle and pull through the loop to create a slip knot. Keep on repeating to create the chain.
- Now that you have your slip knot chain, you can begin with the double crochet stitch.
- You will have one loop around the needle already, and you need to create another loop with the method of yarn over (from back to forth)
- After creating the yarn over, push the needle through the fourth hole of the chain.
- After pushing through, you have to yarn over again, and that will leave you with three loops on the needle.
- The next step is to yarn over again and pull them through the first two loops, and that will leave you with two loops.
- Yarn over again and pull through the rest of the loops, and you are done with your double crochet.
There you know how to make a double crochet stitch! Learning the double crochet stitch will not only help you create many things using the stitch method but also provide you with the opportunity to use them for connecting other things. And here, you will learn to connect the granny square with the help of a double crochet stitch.
Learn: How to Join Granny Squares with Double Crochet
Now that you know what a granny square is and how to form double crochet let’s start with the process of joining them together. To do so, you will need to prepare two granny squares beforehand that you will be used for working. Once you have the granny square, you can start learning the process.
- To start your double crochet on a granny square, you need to put a slip knot on your needle.
- Yarn over on the needle
- Put the needle through the first hole of the first square.
- Yarn over again and pull through the hole.
- After doing that you are going to complete the double crochet stitch
- Now you are going to do a double crochet on the second square where you want them to link.
- You will have to come over to the first square again and create another double crochet.
- Now, you have to repeat double crochets from the first on to the second.
- Continue doing that until the end of the squares.
- When you reach the end, you will have the squares joined together with a looking zigzag pattern.
And that’s all you need to know on how to join granny squares with double crochet. You can now join as many granny squares as you want together to create a blanket or a bag, anything that your heart desires. Learning how to join will provide you with different opportunities for creating beautiful things. Once you learn it, you can surprise your grandmother or mother by making them various items. But you may have to steal the granny squares from them beforehand. And in case you do not want that, it is never too late to learn how to make granny square yourself.