How to Keep Bugs From Coming Through Deck Boards
Deck boards are a common entry point for bugs and other pests into your home. They are gross, but they can also be a nuisance, especially if you’re trying to enjoy time outdoors. In this post, we’ll give you some tips on how to keep bugs from coming through deck boards.
Luckily, there are some simple things you can do to help keep bugs from coming through your deck boards and into your home. These tips will help seal off any gaps between the boards and prevent moisture damage that can lead to rot. So follow these steps to keep your deck bug-free!
8 Reasons That Causes Bugs to Keep Coming Through Deck Boards
1. The Wood Is Not Properly Sealed
If your deck boards are not properly sealed, they can act as an open invitation for bugs. So make sure to fill your deck before using it to help keep bugs from coming through.
2. There Are Cracks or Gaps in the Deck Boards
If there are any cracks or gaps in your deck boards, bugs will be able to get through easily. So be sure to check your deck boards regularly for any cracks or gaps and repair them as soon as possible.
3. The Deck Boards Are Too Close Together
Bugs can easily squeeze through the cracks if the deck boards are too close together. So be sure to leave enough space between each deck board to prevent this from happening.
4. The Deck Is in a Shady Area
Shady areas are more likely to attract bugs. If your deck is in a shady area, be sure to take extra precautions to keep bugs from coming through the deck boards. One way to do this is to use a sealant on the deck boards to help keep bugs out. You can also use a bug spray or citronella candles to keep bugs away.
5. The Deck Is Not Regularly Cleaned
A dirty deck is more likely to attract bugs. Be sure to clean your deck regularly to prevent an infestation. Cleaning a deck is not difficult, but it is important to do it right. Use a deck cleaner or wood soap and a stiff brush. Rinse the deck well afterward to remove all of the cleaners.
6. The Deck Is in a Wet Area
Wet areas are more likely to attract bugs. If your deck is in a wet area, be sure to take extra precautions to keep bugs from coming through the deck boards. One way to do this is to use a sealant on the deck boards. Another way to keep bugs from coming through deck boards is to use a screen underneath the deck. This will help to keep the area under the deck dry and free of bugs.
7. Food or Trash Around the Deck
If there is food or trash around the deck, it will attract bugs. Make sure to sweep and clean up any food or trash around the deck to keep the bugs away.
8. The Deck Is Near a Pond or River
Ponds and rivers are a common habitat for bugs. If your deck is near a pond or river, take extra precautions to keep bugs from coming through the deck boards. One way to do this is to use a sealant on the deck boards to help keep bugs out. You can also use a bug spray or citronella candles to keep bugs away.
10 Effective Ways on How to Keep Bugs From Coming Through Deck Boards
1. Use Caulk or Sealant
Sealant is a crucial part of any deck-building project. Make sure to use it around the perimeter of your deck boards and in any cracks or crevices. This will help keep bugs from crawling through and invading your deck space.
2. Install screening
Another great way to keep bugs out is by installing screening around the perimeter of your deck. This will create a barrier that will make it difficult for bugs to get through. You can either install screening yourself or hire a professional to do it for you.
3. Use a Bug Barrier
There are also products specifically designed to keep bugs from coming through deck boards. For example, a bug barrier is a great way to ensure that your deck is insect-free.
4. Keep Your Deck Clean
One of the best ways to keep bugs away is simply keeping your deck clean. Sweep up any debris and keep food and drinks off of the deck surface.
5. Trim Your Plants
If you have plants near your deck, keep them trimmed. Bugs love to hide in tall grass and bushes, so trimming back your plants will help to reduce the bug population around your deck.
6. Use Lights
If you’re having trouble with bugs, try using lights. Bugs are attracted to light, so you can discourage them from coming near by placing lights near your deck. You can either use lights built into the deck or place standalone lights around the perimeter of the deck.
7. Use a Fan
Another way to deter bugs is by using a fan. The air movement will help to keep bugs from landing on your deck and getting inside. You can use a standalone fan or attach to your deck. If you live in an area that gets a lot of bugs, you may want to consider using multiple fans.
8. Use Natural Repellents
There are several plants that bugs don’t like, and you can use these to your advantage by planting them around your deck. Some good options include citronella, catnip, and marigolds.
You can also make your natural repellent by mixing equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle and adding a few drops of any essential oil that bugs don’t like (such as lavender, peppermint, or rosemary).
9. Store Firewood Away From Your Home
If you have firewood stored near your home, keep it away from your deck. Bugs love to hide in woodpiles, and if they make their way onto your deck, they can cause a lot of trouble.
10. Inspect Your Deck Regularly
The best way to keep bugs away is by inspecting your deck regularly and taking care of any problems as soon as they arise. If you catch a bug problem early, it will be much easier to deal with.
Tips to Prevent Bucks From Coming Through Deck Boards
Here we have given some tips on how to keep bugs from coming through deck boards
- Use a caulk gun to apply insecticide around the deck’s perimeter.
- Inspect the deck regularly for cracks or gaps and seal them promptly.
- Keep the area around the deck clean and free of debris.
- Store firewood away from the deck and trim back any vegetation that touches it.
- Install a screened-in deck to keep insects out.
- Inspect the deck regularly and treat it with a pesticide-resistant sealant if necessary.
- Cover the deck with a tarp to keep bugs from getting under the boards when not in use.
- Hire a professional pest control company to treat the area around the deck regularly.
How Do You Bug Proof a Deck Floor?
There are a few things you can do to help keep bugs from coming up through your deck boards:
1. Use a suitable sealant on the decking boards. This will help to keep out moisture, which can lead to rot and bug infestations.
2. Install a barrier between the decking and the ground. This can be done with a simple piece of wire mesh or with a more elaborate system like plastic lattice or paver blocks.
3. Keep the deck well-maintained and free of debris. Leaves and other organic matter can provide a home for bugs and create moisture problems that will lead to rot.
4. Regularly inspect the deck for signs of bug infestation. If you see any evidence of bugs, take steps to get rid of them as soon as possible.
5. Talk to a professional about getting your deck treated with a bug-resistant coating. This can be an effective way to keep bugs from coming up through the decking boards and help protect the wood from rot and other damage.
If you follow these tips, you can help to keep your deck bug-free and looking great for years to come!
How Do You Screen Under a Deck?
One way to keep bugs from coming through your deck boards is to screen under the deck. This can be done by creating a frame out of 2x4s and attaching chicken wire or hardware cloth.
The frame can then be attached to the bottom of the deck joists. You can also create a screened-in porch under your deck by adding a roof and walls. This will keep bugs and other pests out while still allowing you to enjoy the outdoors.
If you take the time to seal your deck properly, it will be less susceptible to bugs and other pests. Applying a sealant every two years is usually enough to keep your deck in good condition.
Make sure you use a quality product to penetrate the wood and create a barrier against moisture and insects. By following these simple steps on how to keep bugs from coming through deck boards, you can protect your investment and keep your deck looking great for years to come.
You Can Check It Out To Use Peppermint Oil to Get Rid of Spiders