How to Make a Ring Out of Paper Clips
Paper clips are used to keep pieces of paper together. Paper clips are usually made from metal and are bent into different shapes. There are also paper clips that contain a spring that allows them to open up after being attached to two sheets of paper, thus allowing the user to hold more papers in one clip instead of holding two separate pieces of paper with each hand. In this article, I will discuss how to make a ring out of paper clips. So let us get started.
What Do You Need to Consider When Making a Ring Out of Paper Clips?
In order to make a ring, you first need to decide what size and shape you want it to be. This article will show you how to make a circular ring that is a little over three inches in diameter. However, you can adjust the steps to make a ring of any size.
Stepwise Guide on How to Make a Ring Out of Paper Clips:
STEP 1: Collect Paper Clips.
Collect paper clips. The number of paper clips needed for this project will depend on your ring size. It’s best to start with a few and add more if necessary.
STEP 2: Using Pliers to Bend the Paper Clips
Use pliers to bend all the paper clips into slightly smaller circles than you would like your finished ring to be. By doing it one at a time, there is no need to worry about having two identical rings next to each other when finished.
Step 3: Use Wire Cutters
Open one end of the clasps on two colored chains using wire cutters and attach each one between about three or four circles depending on the size of clasp you are using. Choose colors that contrast well – gold links look nice with silver paper clips, and red or black look good with gold.
STEP 4: Tightly Close the Open Ends of the Clasps
Use pliers to tightly close the open ends of the clasps on both chains so that they are securely attached to a few circles from each chain. You can also use crimp beads instead of clasps, but it will be slightly more difficult to close them tightly and, therefore, less secure.
STEP 5: Link the Short-chain With Each Other
Take one end link from the short chain you made and attach it between three or four paper clip circles using pliers to form another, longer circle. Repeat this step until you have two linked circles similar in size to the clasps used at the beginning. These new “link circles should not have clasps or any other metal pieces attached to them.
STEP 6: Attach the Short Chain to the Open Clasps
Cut loose “link circles” off the short chain you just made and attached them to the open clasps in between three or four paper clips on the long chain from step 5. These new “link circles should not have clasps or any other metal pieces attached to them.
STEP 7: Remove Some Wire Cutters
Continue making link circles until all of the chains are one very long circle. If the links get too bulky, carefully remove some wire cutters and pliers and reattach them further down the chain. This is a good time to ensure that all of your rings are uniform in size with no overlapping ends sticking out.
STEP 8: Hold the Smaller Ring to the Chain
Put the smaller ring around your finger and hold it up to the chain. Take note of how many link circles overlap the small ring and start adding them in between three or four paper clips onto the larger ring from step 7 if necessary until they match up exactly.
STEP 9: Add a Wire Circle
Use pliers to add a wire circle at least one inch long (more if you need bulk) anywhere along the chain. Cut it off if too much excess is showing, but be sure not to remove any paper clips. This will be used as a clasp once your finished project is complete.
STEP 10: Disconnect All Clasps
Use wire cutters to disconnect all clasps, chains, and circles from each other except for one open connection that should remain between two link circles.
STEP 11: Begin Stringing Tin Beads
Use pliers to clamp together the last open connection and begin stringing tin beads on it as you would a bead necklace until they reach your desired length.
STEP 12: Connect the Other End of the Tin Beads
Use pliers to connect the other end of the tin beads into another, open, circular link that should remain after step 10. This new circular link should be in between three or four paper clips.
STEP 13: Make Sure Your Chain of Tin Beads Tightly Connected
Take your finished chain of tin beads off the larger ring and ensure that it is tightly connected so no paper clips fall out. If not, use pliers to adjust them accordingly.
STEP 14: Do Not Pinch or Bend the Paper Clip
Put each end of your completed chain through an open loop on either side so that the paper clips are on the inside of the larger ring and attach them using pliers. Do not pinch or bend the paper clip itself, as it can create sharp angles that may cut someone!
STEP 15: Close the Crimp Beads
Close each open loop with crimp beads (or folding over and flatten with pliers as I did), so they cannot come undone.
STEP 16: Enjoy Your Finish Product
Now you have a unique, one-of-a-kind ring made completely from paper clips! If your finished project turns out too thick for your liking, you can always add more circles in between three or four paper clips until it’s just right. If you want to remove any excess circles from any link chains around this ring, be sure to use pliers and/or wire cutters as they can have sharp edges.
Some Extra Tips & Tricks:
1. Try different variations of the same design by changing how many wire twists there are.
2. The possibilities are endless! Try making a keychain, necklace, or bracelet out of the rings you create.
3. The design will vary depending on whether or not your wire is stranded (has thin and thick parts along its length).
4. For a variation on the design, try using a bent paperclip instead of a straight one.
5. Look at other types of paper clips for inspiration. Try using a different kind next time you make this craft.
6. If you find that the paper clips are deforming when they get warm, leave them in an air-conditioned room to cool down.
Precautions While Making a Ring Out of Paper Clips:
1. This project is for flammable metals only! It will not work if you use any other kind of metal, such as paperclips made out of non-flammable metals or nonmetallic materials such as plastic and glass. Do not attempt to make a ring out of anything other than paper clips. If you try with the wrong kind of metal, you risk getting burned or injured by flying bits of molten metal.
2. Be sure to do this project outside, where there’s plenty of ventilation and nowhere near any combustible objects or structures. Work in a spot that’s protected from the wind so that the heat doesn’t blow your ring away before it solidifies!
3. Keep water handy if you need to cool down the rings or put out any fires that might start.
4. Work with care and caution; always pay attention to what you’re doing so that you don’t hurt yourself or others around you by accidentally dropping a ring on your foot, for example. Also, be sure not to bang the soldering iron on anything hard in case the hot end comes off while it’s still plugged in (never leave a soldering iron unattended!).
5. Wear safety equipment such as metal-working goggles if necessary. If you have long hair, tie it back to prevent it from catching fire or getting in your face while you’re working. You can also wear gloves if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make a Paperclip Ring Without Tools?
A paperclip ring is a common household item that you can make by folding a paper clip in half and attaching it to the end of your finger. You can also use another bent wire or cord type if you don’t have a paper clip on hand.
Can You Make a Nose Ring Out of a Paperclip?
Yes, you can make a nose ring out of a paperclip. It’s very easy to do and only takes about 5 minutes.
- Step 1
Take the paperclip and attach it to the end of your nose with an adhesive bandage or tape.
- Step 2
Cut off one side of the paperclip and fold it over so that you have two flaps on each side.
- Step 3
Bend one flap up until it is at a 90-degree angle with the rest of the nose ring. Now bend the other flap down so that they are at 90 degrees as well, creating a loop on each side for the piece of jewelry you will be putting through them later on.
- Step 4
Cut off a piece from one end of the remaining strip on either side (the strip should still be folded) so that there is about an inch left at both ends. Make sure these pieces are not too long, because this will create extra stress when bending them into loops for earrings or rings later in step 6!
- Step 5
Use pliers to create loops out of each piece by bending them around themselves several times until they become thin enough to slide through another loop easily without breaking apart or straining too much while sliding onto another loop. Once you have created two loops, use needle-nose pliers to open up both loops before attaching your favorite jewelry item onto them!
Can I Make My Own Paperclip Rings?
Yes, you can make your own paperclip rings. However, this is not recommended because the materials required are expensive, and they might not be easy to find. It is better to purchase paperclip rings from a store than to make them yourself.
Can You Make Jewelry Out of Paper Clips?
Yes, you can make jewelry out of paper clips. This is a great DIY project for those who are looking to start their own business and sell handmade jewelry on Etsy or other online marketplaces.
To start, you will need some paper clips and an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
The first step is to melt the metal clip with the oven and then use pliers to bend it into the desired shape. Next, glue your jewelry onto a base of your choice, like a ring or pendant necklace.
Is It Hard to Make a Ring Out of Paper Clips?
Making a ring out of paper clips is not difficult, but it takes some time.
1. Start by cutting out a strip of paper that is about three inches wide and two feet long.
2. Fold the strip in half lengthwise so that you have a piece of paper with two equal halves on either side of the center point where you started from.
3. Place one end of the strip on the center of your forehead and fold the other end down to meet it, creating a crease that divides the strip into two equal halves. Next, hold the strip up to your face and look through the crease like you are wearing a pair of sunglasses or goggles. Gaze at an object in the distance for about 10 seconds without moving your head too much, so that your eyes will be focused on something close to them.
4. Then remove one hand from each half and turn them over so they are facing down towards your other hand with their original centerline now pointing upwards towards the sky (this will be easier if you did step 3 while looking through these goggles).
Now use one hand to grab both ends at once and pull them gently apart until they meet in the middle again but don’t let go yet because there’s still another step left! You should now see an X-shaped pattern coming together where all four corners meet because each corner has been pulled apart twice already by both hands pulling in opposite directions! Once this happens, just let go, and voila, you’ve got yourself a beautiful paper clip ring!
I hope this article has been beneficial for learning how to make a ring out of paper clips. Thank you, and have a nice day!
Check Out our article How to Make Paper Glossy