How to Make High Traffic Carpet Look New
How to make high traffic carpet look new is a question that many homeowners ask. Of course, the first thing that will happen is that the rug will start to show wear and tear.
This may be unavoidable, as no matter how much we clean it, there’s still going to be dirt and other things on your carpet. However, you can use a few tricks, so it doesn’t look too bad for too long.
The best way to do this is by using a vacuum cleaner with rotating brushes or a steam cleaner. Doing so will immediately cut down on the amount of grime left in the fibers of your rug, which is what makes most carpets look old after they’ve been used for years!
Also, when vacuuming any high traffic areas such as around tables and chairs, make sure you’re getting every inch of these areas to ensure you’re not missing any dirt and debris. Read on to know more about this topic!
10 Effective Ways on How to Make High Traffic Carpet Look New:
1. Steam Clean Your Carpet:
If you’re carpet is looking old and you’re thinking about replacing it, try steaming it instead. The heat from the steam will disinfect the carpet fibers and make it look new again.
2. Vacuum Regularly:
It’s important to vacuum regularly, and to do it the right way. A lot of people make the mistake of using the vacuum on a high setting, and just quickly moving it around the carpet.
This will make your carpets look old and worn, as it tears out little chunks of the fibers and leaves a mess behind. Instead, try using an attachment to pull your vacuum along the floor slowly.
This will make it look like you have new carpeting because the fibers will be shiny and smooth, not ripped or frayed. Whether you’re going to build, buy or rent a house or apartment, the advice in this article will help you decide what home improvements are worth your time and money. Keep this information in mind when making future decisions on your home.
3. Hot Water Carpet Cleaning:
Another technique to use is hot water extract carpet cleaning. When you use hot water, it makes your carpets look very clean and kills a lot of the germs that cause odors and stains. This method is safer for your children and pets since it removes a lot of dirt but does not contain harsh chemicals.
4. Baking Soda:
Clean up spills as soon as they happen with baking soda. For example, if you have a spill from pet food or blood from a cut, immediately sprinkle the spot with baking soda to make it easier to clean later. Let this sit for a couple of days, and then vacuum it up. If you wait too long, the baking soda will dry out and make the stain set in.
5. Fabric Softener:
If you have a stain on your carpet, you might be tempted to set your washing machine to the hottest setting to get rid of it. But this can actually cause permanent damage to your carpet because it will push chemicals into the fibers.
6. Avoid Cheap Stain Removers:
When it comes to stain removers, avoid the cheap brands. They are often too thin and have chemicals that will do permanent damage to your carpet. Instead, spend a few extra dollars to get a brand that cleans well without eating away at the fibers.
7. Stain Resistant Carpet:
One way to protect your carpet from dirt and stains is to buy a stain-resistant carpet. Several brands of carpets on the market have a protective layer, so they stay clean longer. This brand will stand up to more wear and tear than regular carpet, but you can always steam clean it regularly for added benefits.
8. Refresh Carpets in Between Cleanings:
If you don’t want to replace your carpets, there is another option; refresh them between cleanings. You can purchase a spray-on carpet refresher at the store that will make your carpets smell nice and look freshly cleaned without spending too much time or money on the job.
This will make it appear like you’ve had your carpets cleaned even if you haven’t, and it will keep them looking new for a bit longer.
9. Carpet Deodorizers:
A great way to make your carpets smell fresh is to sprinkle them with carpet deodorizers. These are usually in the form of powder, but some brands make sprays. Either way, it will keep your house smelling nice when guests are over or when the kids are playing on the floor.
10. Use High Traffic Areas to Spot Clean:
Spot clean your high traffic areas with a wet cloth and carpet cleaner. You can find this at most grocery stores, and it is much cheaper than hiring someone to clean your carpets for you. Using the wet cloth method will allow you to spot clean specific stains without going over the entire carpet again.
Tips to Maintain Your High Traffic Carpet:
1. If you have pets, invest in a good vacuum cleaner. The best vacuums are the bagless types with rotating heads with various levels of suction power that can be adjusted according to your carpet pile.
2. For spills on high traffic areas, soak up as much of the spilled liquid as possible before it soaks into the carpet pile. Use paper towels or cloth towels to absorb most of the spill and then blot with a dry towel until no more can be absorbed. If you have time, let the spot dry entirely before vacuuming.
3. Clean your carpets at least once a year to remove any tired-looking dirt and soil which is likely to get ground into the pile over the year. If you don’t have time for this task, hire a professional carpet cleaner to clean your carpets every six months.
4. If you want to wash your carpets at home, mix one cup of white vinegar with two cups of lukewarm water and use the solution in a spray bottle or sponge mop to clean small areas at a time. Let dry naturally; do not use an extractor or fan.
5. For high-traffic condos, apartments, and rental units, have the carpets cleaned every six months.
6. If you spill a lot of greasy food on your carpet, immediately rub in some talcum powder with a soft brush to absorb most of the grease. Then use a sponge mop or spray bottle to wash down any remaining residue with warm water. Finally, let the area dry naturally.
7. If you have pets, buy a good vacuum cleaner. The best vacuums are those bagless types with rotating heads with various levels of suction power that can be adjusted according to your carpet pile.
How Do You Make a Faded Carpet Look New?
Most people would like to know how to make high traffic carpet look new. A common problem with carpet is that it fades over time. As a result, some spots on your flooring can quickly become discolored, making the area appear less attractive than other parts of your home or office.
Things like age and excessive foot traffic can cause this effect, but it’s not always sure which is at fault. Fortunately, several methods can help restore the color of your flooring.
3 Methods for Restoring Carpet Color
1. Carpet Cleaner
This solution works well for faded carpets, but it may cause slight discoloration if the cleaner is too strong. In a plastic container, combine two cups of warm water, a few drops of dishwashing detergent, and a capful of ammonia.
Pour the mixture onto the carpet, wait five minutes, and wipe it off with a damp sponge or cloth. This method may also fade the design on some carpets.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Mix three parts hydrogen peroxide with one part water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the carpet and wait for at least 15 minutes. Blot up any excess liquid with a clean cloth or sponge, then rub the area with excellent steel wool to reweave the carpet’s fibers.
Mix two cups of warm water, 1/2 cup of clear ammonia, one capful of dishwashing liquid, and two heaping tablespoons of baking soda in a plastic container. Pour the mixture onto the carpet and work it into the fibers with a scrub brush or cloth. Leave it on for five minutes, then rinse with cool water.
How to Clean Pet Stains From Your Carpet?
Pet stains are common in carpets because of the fur, oil, and moisture pets bring. When the pets urinate or vomit on your carpet, it becomes challenging to remove the stains. Here are some tips for removing pet stains from carpets:
1. Blot out the urine as much as possible. You can use a wet towel or a paper towel since napkins have an inbuilt absorbent material that effectively soak up the liquid. Place a thick layer of paper towels or napkins on the spot and step onto it to absorb as much liquid as possible.
2. Mix vinegar and water in equal parts and squirt it over the stain. Let it dry and sprinkle some baking soda on top of it. This will reduce the uric acid smell of urine and make the stain lighter.
3. You can also use any enzymatic cleaner to remove the smell and acidity of the urine. However, these enzyme cleaners will break down the uric acid crystals in the stain, and thus, they won’t be able to attach themselves to fabric or carpet fibers.
4. Use a mixture of dishwashing liquid and hydrogen peroxide. You can also use liquid dishwashing soap and rubbing alcohol for cleaning the stains.
5. If you don’t have hydrogen peroxide, you can also use baking soda and water to clean up pet stains from your carpet. Apply a paste on the spot and let it dry for about ten minutes before vacuuming it again with a cleaner.
How to Clean Your Old Carpet?
You need to clean your carpet regularly; otherwise, the stains and dirt will build up over time. However, if you are unsure how to clean it or don’t know what kind of material is used for the carpeting, do some research first to find out more information about its composition before deciding how to proceed.
This is to ensure that you choose the right cleaning products for it. You can check the label for information about the fabric. For example, if it’s wool, you should use soap and water; if it’s cotton, then use warm water; for nylon, use cool water; lastly, if it’s polyester or synthetic fibers, use any liquid household cleaner.
We know that carpets can get dirty quickly, but you can make your carpet look new again with the right cleaning methods and products. With these few simple steps, you can make your carpet look new again.
We hope that this post on how to make high traffic carpet look new has given you some helpful ideas on how to freshen up your home without spending a lot of money. If not, we’re always here for the next time!