How to Make High Traffic Carpet Look New
How to make high traffic carpet look new is a question that many homeowners ask. Of course, the first thing that will happen is that the rug will start to show wear and tear.
This may be unavoidable, as no matter how much we clean it, there’s still going to be dirt and other things on your carpet. However, you can use a few tricks, so it doesn’t look too bad for too long.
The best way to do this is by using a vacuum cleaner with rotating brushes or a steam cleaner. Doing so will immediately cut down on the amount of grime left in the fibers of your rug, which is what makes most carpets look old after they’ve been used for years!
Also, when vacuuming any high traffic areas such as around tables and chairs, make sure you’re getting every inch of these areas to ensure you’re not missing any dirt and debris. Read on to know more about this topic!
10 Effective Ways on How to Make High Traffic Carpet Look New:
1. Steam Clean Your Carpet:
If you use a carpet cleaner and the carpets look old and need replacement, try steaming your carpets instead. The heat from the steam will disinfect the carpet fibers, so they won’t smell like mildew or get full of allergens that drive away visitors. This technique has been proven to make your carpets look new.
2. Vacuum Regularly:
Be sure to vacuum regularly and use the correct technique. Many people make the mistake of setting their vacuums on high and scraping them across the carpet quickly.
This will make your carpets look like they need to be replaced because it tears out little chunks of the fibers and leaves a mess behind. Instead, try using an attachment to pull your vacuum along the floor slowly.
This will make it look like you have new carpeting because the fibers will be shiny and smooth, not ripped or frayed.
3. Hot Water Carpet Cleaning:
Another technique to use is hot water extract carpet cleaning. When you use hot water, it makes your carpets look very clean and kills a lot of the germs that cause odors and stains. This method is safer for your children and pets since it removes a lot of dirt but does not contain harsh chemicals.
4. Baking Soda:
Clean up spills as soon as they happen with baking soda. For example, if you have a spill from pet food or blood from a cut, immediately sprinkle the spot with baking soda to make it easier to clean later. Let this sit for a couple of days, and then vacuum it up. If you wait too long, the baking soda will dry out and make the stain set in.
5. Fabric Softener:
People often make one mistake is setting their washing machine on the hottest setting to get dirt and stains out of their carpets. Unfortunately, this can actually cause permanent damage because it traces chemicals into the fibers.
6. Avoid Cheap Stain Removers:
When it comes to stain removers, avoid the cheap brands. They are often too thin and have chemicals that will do permanent damage to your carpet. Instead, spend a few extra dollars to get a brand that cleans well without eating away at the fibers.
7. Stain Resistant Carpet:
One way to protect your carpet from dirt and stains is to buy a stain-resistant carpet. Several brands of carpets on the market have a protective layer, so they stay clean longer. This brand will stand up to more wear and tear than regular carpet, but you can always steam clean it regularly for added benefits.
8. Refresh Carpets in Between Cleanings:
If you don’t want to replace your carpets, there is another option; refresh them between cleanings. You can purchase a spray-on carpet refresher at the store that will make your carpets smell nice and look freshly cleaned without spending too much time or money on the job.
This will make it appear like you’ve had your carpets cleaned even if you haven’t, and it will keep them looking new for a bit longer.
9. Carpet Deodorizers:
A great way to make your carpets smell fresh is to sprinkle them with carpet deodorizers. These are usually in the form of powder, but some brands make sprays. Either way, it will keep your house smelling nice when guests are over or when the kids are playing on the floor.
10. Use High Traffic Areas to Spot Clean:
Spot clean your high traffic areas with a wet cloth and carpet cleaner. You can find this at most grocery stores, and it is much cheaper than hiring someone to clean your carpets for you. Using the wet cloth method will allow you to spot clean specific stains without going over the entire carpet again.
Tips to Maintain Your High Traffic Carpet:
1. If you have pets, invest in a good vacuum cleaner. The best vacuums are the bagless types with rotating heads with various levels of suction power that can be adjusted according to your carpet pile.
2. For spills on high traffic areas, soak up as much of the spilled liquid as possible before it soaks into the carpet pile. Use paper towels or cloth towels to absorb most of the spill and then blot with a dry towel until no more can be absorbed. If you have time, let the spot dry entirely before vacuuming.
3. Clean your carpets at least once a year to remove any tired-looking dirt and soil which is likely to get ground into the pile over the year. If you don’t have time for this task, hire a professional carpet cleaner to clean your carpets every six months.
4. If you want to wash your carpets at home, mix one cup of white vinegar with two cups of lukewarm water and use the solution in a spray bottle or sponge mop to clean small areas at a time. Let dry naturally; do not use an extractor or fan.
5. For high-traffic condos, apartments, and rental units, have the carpets cleaned every six months.
6. If you spill a lot of greasy food on your carpet, immediately rub in some talcum powder with a soft brush to absorb most of the grease. Then use a sponge mop or spray bottle to wash down any remaining residue with warm water. Finally, let the area dry naturally.
7. If you have pets, buy a good vacuum cleaner. The best vacuums are those bagless types with rotating heads with various levels of suction power that can be adjusted according to your carpet pile.
How Do You Make a Faded Carpet Look New?
Most people would like to know how to make high traffic carpet look new. A common problem with carpet is that it fades over time. As a result, some spots on your flooring can quickly become discolored, making the area appear less attractive than other parts of your home or office.
Things like age and excessive foot traffic can cause this effect, but it’s not always sure which is at fault. Fortunately, several methods can help restore the color of your flooring.
3 Methods for Restoring Carpet Color
1. Carpet Cleaner
This solution works well for faded carpets, but it may cause slight discoloration if the cleaner is too strong. In a plastic container, combine two cups of warm water, a few drops of dishwashing detergent, and a capful of ammonia.
Pour the mixture onto the carpet, wait five minutes, and wipe it off with a damp sponge or cloth. This method may also fade the design on some carpets.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Mix three parts hydrogen peroxide with one part water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the carpet and wait for at least 15 minutes. Blot up any excess liquid with a clean cloth or sponge, then rub the area with excellent steel wool to reweave the carpet’s fibers.
Mix two cups of warm water, 1/2 cup of clear ammonia, one capful of dishwashing liquid, and two heaping tablespoons of baking soda in a plastic container. Pour the mixture onto the carpet and work it into the fibers with a scrub brush or cloth. Leave it on for five minutes, then rinse with cool water.
We know that carpets can get dirty quickly, but you can make your carpet look new again with the right cleaning methods and products. With these few simple steps, you can make your carpet look new again.
We hope that this post on how to make high traffic carpet look new has given you some helpful ideas on how to freshen up your home without spending a lot of money. If not, we’re always here for the next time!