How to Get Wrinkles Out of Cowhide Rug
Cowhide rugs can be expensive and keep for a long time if they are correctly maintained. They’re great to give as gifts, but not so much fun when you have wrinkles in your new rug. Here in these blog posts, we will show you how to get wrinkles out of cowhide rug.
Cowhide rugs are one of the most durable types of floor coverings on the market today. But, if you’ve chosen this type of rug and want it to look good longer, there is something you need to do with it now that you’ve brought it home from the store or received it as a gift. Here’s how to treat your cowhide rug immediately after purchase or delivery so that it will last for years instead of months. Read on to know more!
8 Ways on How to Get Wrinkles Out of Cowhide Rug:
1. Using an Iron:
This is a good way to get wrinkles out of a cowhide rug for more delicate pieces of cowhide rugs. Set your iron on the highest heat setting it has for this method and iron over the wrinkled area until it flattens out. You can also use fabric spray on top of this if the rug is still slightly wrinkled.
2. Using a Towel:
You can also use the weight of towels to get wrinkles out of cowhide rugs. Place 2 or 3 large, clean towels on top of the wrinkled area. Then place something heavy, like books, on top of the towels so they will compress down onto the rug and begin flattening out the area. Leave this overnight and in the morning, take off the towels and you should find that most of your wrinkles will be gone.
3. Using a Steamer:
A steamer can also help remove wrinkles from cowhide rugs in either clothing or in rugs themselves. These are relatively cheap to purchase at department stores, so it won’t hurt the wallet if you have to buy one. You can also place rugs or clothing items in a dry-cleaning bag before steaming them, which will help protect them from being damaged. Make sure to go over heavy wrinkles multiple times with this method.
4. Banging the Rug:
You can bang up and down on the wrinkled area of cowhide rugs with your fist or foot to beat out all of the wrinkles. If you have a heavy, thick piece of cowhide, such as an area rug, standing on top of it and jumping up and down can also help press some of the wrinkles out. Just be careful that whatever you’re standing on is sturdy enough to handle your weight.
5. Using a Hanger:
You Can Check It Out to Crochet a Giant Circular Rug
You can hang up the wrinkled piece of cowhide rug on a hanger or clothesline and let it dangle there for about two days. This will forcibly stretch out any wrinkles that are still stuck in your cowhide rug, which should make them come out.
6. Spraying Shampoo on It:
The shampoo also works as an excellent method for getting wrinkles out of cowhide rug. Just spray some shampoo onto the wrinkled area, scrub it in with a cloth, and then rinse it off thoroughly, so no residue is left behind. This should remove most, if not all, of your wrinkles.
7. Using a Blender:
One of the easiest ways to get wrinkles out of a cowhide rug is by using your blender. First, fill your blender with water and set it on top of the wrinkled area so that all of the water will soak into the rug, removing the wrinkles as it goes. This method should work relatively quickly.
8. Using a Vacuum Cleaner:
Place the wrinkled piece of cowhide rug over an end table, chair, or even your floor. Then turn your vacuum cleaner on and go over the area that has wrinkles to remove them. This should take about 5 minutes for each section that has wrinkles to remove them. However, be careful not to get the cowhide rug too close to the vacuum cleaner, as this may damage the fibers of your rug.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Be gentle with the leather, as it is much more delicate than other types of upholstery. Do not rub vigorously or pull the cowhide rug roughly. If possible, try to return it to its original position quickly to regain some of its natural curves and shape.
- The use of steam will help you remove wrinkles from a cowhide rug. Get a steamer and press the nozzle firmly onto the wrinkled areas. Maintain moderate pressure, and steam for about one minute to loosen up the wrinkles. Sometimes it is helpful to repeat this process several times to make sure that the wrinkles disappear entirely.
- To get rid of stubborn wrinkles, try using an iron, but do so with extreme caution. For example, put a cotton cloth over the cowhide rug and iron over it at low heat, using an ironing board to protect the leather underneath.
- If you cannot steam out or iron out all of the wrinkles on your own, consider taking your cowhide rug to a professional cleaner for assistance.
- One practical option is to purchase a cowhide rug with a pattern so that the wrinkles will not be as noticeable.
- You can also try stretching your cowhide rug in various directions after it has been cleaned and dried to eliminate the wrinkles, but this requires a lot of effort and might not work in all cases.
- There are some cowhide rugs on the market that are pre-treated so that they do not wrinkle easily, but these rugs tend to be more expensive than regular cowhide rugs. You can also make your non-wrinkling cowhide rug with a leather conditioner, but it will take some time and effort.
There are a lot of different ways to care for your cowhide rug. We recommend that you take the time to educate yourself on what is best for your specific needs and budget before proceeding with any cleaning methods, as there are no one-size-fits-all solutions when it comes to caring for these beautiful rugs. For more information on how to get wrinkles out of cowhide rug or any other tips for managing for your new purchase, contact us today!