How to Install Lutron Skylark Fan Control and Dimmer
The Lutron Skylark is a dimmer and fan control that is designed to be easy to install. It can replace most three-speed switches and has both single-pole and three-way capabilities. In addition, this device gives the user complete control of their ceiling fans with just one touch of a button, making it easier than ever before for homeowners to maintain their air conditioning levels throughout the house.
It can be used by itself or in conjunction with other Lutron products, like their Caseta Wireless Smart Lighting Dimmer Switch. The best part about this product is that you don’t need any wiring experience to install it! You’ll need some essential tools and patience to set up your perfect lighting environment. Read below for step-by-step instructions on installing the Lutron skylark’s fan control and dimmer.
10 Reasons Why You Should Install Lutron Skylark Fan Control and Dimmer:
1. It’s easy to install
2. It has a low profile/thinness compared with competitors, so it doesn’t take up much room on the wall
3. It is very lightweight, so you can use any fastener to mount it
4. It’s extremely flexible due to the junction box you use
5. The dimmer cord can be used for either dimming or fan control, so it is halved in length. That allows you to install the junction box very close to the switch without having enough excess cord that someone will trip over it and falls down
6. It comes with a very compact junction box. So you can mount it with little surface area, again minimizing tripping hazards
7. The dimmer cord can be used for fan control, so you don’t need to purchase a special kit
8. It’s very reasonably priced for what you get
9. The automatic LED night light gives you point-free light when the wall switch is turned off and someone enters a dark room
10. You don’t have to hire an electrician or specialist to install it; basically, anyone can do it
What You Need to Know Before You Install Lutron Skylark Fan Control and Dimmer:
1. You need to know if your fan is compatible with Lutron Skylark before purchasing any parts.
2. You will be wiring the wall control and the lights together, so make sure you are comfortable with this type of installation before proceeding.
3. The switches do not provide power to the lights and fan but instead send a signal to the wall control. The wall control then sends a signal to turn on/off all of the lights and fan.
4. These switches have been used in many homes and appear to be sturdily built, but like any switch, they will wear out after some time. If your switch stops working, it is possible that you can’t find replacement parts for your model.
5. Older homes will have 3-wire connections from the wall to the lights/fan, while newer homes will likely have only two wires.
6. The switches are not designed for use with more than one light and fan on a circuit. In most cases, you won’t need to replace your current switch if it has this capability; provide the signal to turn on/off your lights or fan.
7. You do not have to use the wall control if you only want a single light on/off switch.
What You’ll Need:
- A pair of pliers
- A flat-head screwdriver,
- Phillips head screwdriver (for installation)
- Electrical Tape
- Masking Tape
- A ladder
Step by Step Guide: How to Install Lutron Skylark Fan Control and Dimmer
Remove the light switch that is currently controlling your fan. To do this, twist the knob inside to loosen, then turn it counter-clockwise until you can remove it from its base plate. Put aside for later use.
Turn off the power to your fan and remove the light bulb. Next, ensure that your ladder is secure and climb up to where your fan resides on the ceiling. Once you’re done inspecting any existing wires, unscrew the screws holding up the canopy, then carefully take it down until it rests on the ceiling.
Insert the wiring into your new unit as it came out of your old one. You’ll want to twist it clockwise until it’s firm, then turn counter-clockwise about three turns to tighten it up. Be sure you have a good grip on the unit before doing this, as any loose wiring can be potentially dangerous and frustrating.
Now that your wiring has been transferred over from the old fan switch to the new Lutron, twist off one of the wires from its base (either black or white), and twist on the matching wire from your new switch (black to black and white to white in most modern wiring). Ensure that you’ve twisted it far enough, as sometimes they can slide off after a few rotations. If this happens, simply spin them again until they’re nice and firm.
Your wiring should now be firmly attached to the new switch. Now, carefully place the canopy back over the wires and secure it with its screws. This is very important as any exposed wiring can be extremely dangerous, especially if your fan has a metal housing.
Once it’s all nice and secure, climb down from your ladder and flip on that new switch. If the fan turns on, then congratulations! You’ve successfully completed your installation. Double-check that you’ve attached the wiring correctly if it doesn’t turn on.
Tips and Suggestions:
Here we have given some tips and suggestions on installing the Lutron skylark fan control and dimmer.
1. If you are replacing an existing light switch, turn off the power to that circuit before beginning.
2. Turn the power on only when the wiring is complete and testing shows that the fan is running properly.
3. It takes two people to replace a wall-mounted dimmer or control unit with another dimmer or control unit. One person needs to hold the unit in place while connecting the wiring; it gets tricky to set the screws by feel.
4. Don’t make the common mistake of having the transmitter (the part that controls your fan) sit on top of or behind your fan blades, which will be less effective. Installers often have to redo their work because they can’t get the fan to run well, and it’s easy to blame the motor when the problem is where they put the transmitter.
5. Don’t expect that just because your fan has three wires (two black, one white) that you will be able to replace an existing switch with a Lutron control unit.
If you’re ready to take your home’s lighting a step further, be sure to install the Lutron Skylark Fan Control and Dimmer. This advanced switch will help you maintain complete control over every aspect of your lights from one convenient location. You’ll never have to worry about turning on or off each light individually again!
Now is as good a time as any to make this upgrade for yourself and see how much better life becomes with these few simple changes. This blog post has given you all the necessary information on installing the Lutron skylark fan control and dimmer. We hope that this guide will be helpful for those who are considering installing these products or want an easy way to reference how it should go. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!