How to Install Strike Plate on Metal Door Frame
The metal door frame is a common sight in most households and businesses. It provides support for a variety of doors, including sliding glass doors, double-hung wood windows, and fire exit doors. The door frame has two pieces; the side jambs that hold up the wall on either side of it and a header that runs across its top to hold up any weight coming from above.
This article will teach you how to install strike plate on metal door frames. To start, measure and mark your hole for the strike plate with a pencil. Next, use an electric drill or a hammer and chisel to make two holes at the top of the hole for screws or nails. Now you can attach your strike plate using screws or nails, depending on what type you have chosen. Finally, secure it by drilling pilot holes into the studs behind the drywall and screwing it directly into them from behind! If you want to know more, read the full blog post below!
Why do You need to Install Strike Plate on Metal Door Frame?
- You should install the strike plate to protect your home from theft, at the very least, because it can prevent an intruder from easily removing a door and gaining access to your house.
- The metal door frame is a huge part of the security system of a house or building. If you break open or cut through this door frame, you can gain access to the inside of a building without damaging doors or windows.
- The strike plate is an easy-to-see plate located on the doorjamb that absorbs most of the force from a burglar trying to break in through a door.
- Strike plates are used for decoration as well as function. The decorative strike plate is an important part of making the door look complete and attractive. They are even used on doors inside of businesses or homes, as they can make your interior look a lot more professional than it really is.
- You should install the strike plate to protect yourself from identification theft. By cutting off these small pieces of metal, a burglar could trick you into handing over your credit card, driver’s license, and other identifying papers.
- A strike plate is used to secure the door into its frame not to be easily opened by anyone who might try to tamper with either the door or the lock.
- You should install the strike plate to keep tools or other important items where someone could steal them. By putting a lock on the door, you can prevent anyone from getting inside without your permission when you are not there.
- Installing a strike plate will make your door look more attractive because it will add an extra layer of security and safety that can be pretty appealing to many people.
- You should install the strike plate if you are using a door inside your home, as it will keep anyone from entering without your permission.
- If you are using a door in your home that leads outside your backyard or away from areas where you would have privacy, you should install a strike plate on it. This will help to prevent people from trying to break into your home through any of the back doors that may be within easy reach of them.
Required Tools & Materials
- Electric or manual drill (with bits)
- Masonry bit
- nails, or hooks for your strike plate
- Strike plate and screw-in anchors or fasteners
Steps To Follow: How to Install Strike Plate on Metal Door Frame
Step 1- Measure and Mark Your Hole
You will first have to measure the door jamb, which is the vertical part extending above the doorway. You want this measurement to be as exact as possible so that your strike plate fits perfectly into place and doesn’t leave any gaps in the wood around it.
Step 2- Drill With a Masonry Bit
Next, use an electric drill to drill into the wood with a masonry bit. You want to make this hole at least 1/4 of an inch in diameter and as deep as absolutely possible without going through the other side of the door jamb.
Step 3- Fit and Screw In Your Strike Plate
After you have drilled the hole, take your strike plate and slip it into place. If you do not want to use a hammer or screwdriver for this purpose, you can instead opt to put some screws in the strike plate from behind; be sure that they fit tightly in place so that no one can remove it them easily.
Step 4- Secure Your Strike Plate With a Screw or Nails
You will need to secure your strike plate in place for it to be as effective as possible in terms of protecting the door. Choose between using screw-in anchors or fasteners and/or with nails. Make sure that you choose this option wisely and that the strike plate is secured as tightly as possible in a place so that it does not become dislodged.
Step 5- Put Hooks or Screws Into Place
If you are not planning on using a nail gun, the next step is to put screws or hooks on either side of your strike plate where no one can remove it easily.
Step 6- Use Your Door as You Normally Would
Once you have installed your strike plate, use the door just like you normally would, and rest assured that your doors are much safer than they were before. However, if you want to make them even safer, consider installing a lock on your door that requires a key!
Step 7- Test Your Strike Plate Regularly
Test your strike plate by trying to open the door while it is locked, and make sure you can’t do so. It’s important to check this regularly because sometimes people can lock themselves out of their homes or lose their keys.
How Do You Drill a Hole in a Metal Door Frame?
You need to drill a hole in the metal door frame, but drilling metal is difficult. Your regular drill bits are made out of hardened steel and will get dull quickly when used on metal. Instead, it would help if you had tempered or bimetal (two-faced) drill bits with carbide on both sides. This gives you more surface area to drill into the metal and will last longer when cutting through it.
Avoid using a power drill since this can be dangerous and cause pieces of metal to fly off at high speeds towards your face and eyes. This isn’t a problem if you’re drilling a hole into wood or drywall but can cause serious injury when dealing with metal since it’s more dangerous than other materials. If your drill has two gears on top of the handle, ensure it is set to the lowest setting possible. Find an area that is close to the size of your strike plate. This helps ensure that you can insert it properly rather than drilling a hole too big or small for the plate to fit into.
You Can Check It Out to Wall Tile Around a Door Frame
Now that you know how to install strike plates on metal door frames, why not try it yourself? We hope this quick guide has been helpful. If you have any questions about anything we’ve discussed in the blog post, or if you need help with a project, please don’t hesitate to reach out!
You may also read: How to Fix a Door Knob That Turns but Doesn’t Open