How to Make a Longhouse Out of a Shoebox
Making a longhouse can be a part of your school project, or you may need to build one for something interesting you are going to make. In both cases, you must first learn how to make a longhouse out of a shoebox.
Don’t worry; it is not that hard, and you won’t have to spend much time building a longhouse. I will show you some simple techniques with which you can make a longhouse in no time. So, without any delay, let’s dive in!
Summary: In this creative short, we learn how to make a Longhouse out of a shoebox. We start by cutting the top off of the shoebox and then using a jigsaw to cut out the sides. We then use a saw to cut out the roof of the shoebox, and finally, we use a drill to create the holes for the poles. Once all the holes are drilled, we use zip ties to secure the poles in place.
How to Make a Longhouse Out of a Shoebox
For this project, I have taken my old shoebox, which is orange in color. I have also taken some pipes of the same color as the shoe box. I will use the pipes to decorate the roofs and make it look quite similar to the original one.
To make a longhouse, you must glue pipes on the top to work like the roof. Make sure to do a thorough job, so the roof looks detailed. Then, leave the pipes to dry. Next, you will need to draw doors and windows on the side. To do this, take the box and turn it upside down, or however you need to to be able to draw easily. Once you finish that, your longhouse is ready.
You can now decorate the house as much as you want. It depends on your project type and how elegant the look you want for your project. Hopefully, you have understood the steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make a Shoe Box House?
Yes, you can make a shoebox house. First of all, what is a shoebox? A shoebox is a container for shoes that have been cut in half lengthwise and then folded in the middle.
There are many different designs that you can make with this container, like houses, vehicles, toys, etc. Let us know if you have any thoughts on how to build one.
What Materials Are Used to Make a Shoebox Longhouse?
The materials used to make a shoebox longhouse are typically found in the natural environment. They include:
• Wood – traditionally made from softwood, hardwood, or bamboo;
• Clay – traditional clay bricks that are not kiln-fired;
• Straw – plant fibers such as hay or straw that have been dried in the sun and then twisted into strands and woven together with twine;
• Rocks – rocks may be used for walls, foundations, and roofs.
How Long Does It Take to Build a Shoebox Longhouse?
A shoebox longhouse takes about two weeks to build.
This is the process:
1. Dig a hole for the pole that will support the roof and base of the building. Make sure it’s deep enough so that when you put in all your posts, they’ll be firmly planted into the ground.
2. Place your poles on top of each other, making sure there are four poles in total supporting the whole building.
3. Between these poles, insert your posts at a distance appropriate for your height and width requirements. The posts should go down into holes made by previous steps 1 and 2 and should also be evenly spaced out around this area, leaving room for rafters to run between them without touching any of them. Make sure you leave space at both ends.
4. Add horizontal beams (girts) connecting these posts – these girts will act as supports for your roof rafters which we’ll add next
5. Create tie beams using another set of rafters or joists spanning across from one end of the building to another (these can also act as supports for your roof rafter ties)
6. Fill up all spaces between posts with cross bracing (usually made from small lengths of 2x4s or 2x6s), which helps strengthen what would otherwise be very flimsy structures
How Much Does It Cost to Make a Longhouse out Of a Shoebox?
The costs of making a longhouse out of a shoebox depend on the size and materials used. With scrap materials from other projects, a smaller, more basic version can be made for about $100 to $200. A larger version would cost between $1,000 and $2,000.
Is It Hard to Make a Longhouse out Of a Shoebox?
It is not difficult to make a longhouse out of a shoebox. All you need is some rope, and you can use an old shoebox or something similar to the frame for your house.
You may read also –