How to Make a Puzzle Box Out of Cardboard
The invisible cardboard boxes are really fascinating. They can be cheaply made with the cardboards in our home, and the puzzle pattern can make us feel the joy to the fullest. So, why not make these cardboard puzzle boxes and bring the fun into our home.
That will be really great. But, don’t worry; it is not that hard. I have got you covered with some simplest techniques of making cardboard boxes. So, let’s see how to make a puzzle box out of cardboard in the easiest ways.
Supplies You Will Need
- A ruler
- Packing tape
- Hot glue gun
- A knife or box cutter
Processes on How To Make A Puzzle Box Out Of Cardboard
First of all, you have to ensure accurate measurement. So, take your ruler, measure the cardboard piece according, and cut them out.
Now, you have to make some holes. Make the first hole with the measurement of 2”x1/4” and then place a piece inside of that hole. Secure the piece by putting some glue on it. After that, make another hole with the measurement of ½”x ¼ “by the side and put one of the pieces inside of it.
Secure the piece by gluing it. Next, add the third piece to the top of your box. This time leave a space so that you can open directly with the smaller holes. This will work as the locking mechanism.
Okay, it is time for the assembly. Assemble the parts and the locking mechanism. Test them whether they are working appropriately or not. For this, you can slide the bottoms to open the device. It shouldn’t open if it’s locked. If you find something wrong, try to figure what has gone wrong and fix that with your own effort.
First off, you will need to cut out a piece of cardboard to be the same size as your puzzle. This can be done with any shears or scissors.
Then, decide how many layers your puzzle should have and then create cuts following this number on each side of the board. The number for maximum puzzles would be five pieces, but if there are not enough spaces on the board, then no more than four pieces should be made at any one time.
Using glue or even double-sided tape means that when you put two adjacent sides together, they form a solid layer while also keeping them from moving around too much once glued down, which could make solving harder depending on what kind of shape you are using.
You will need to repeat this process for each layer until you have the desired number, then put a final piece on top to form the lid of your puzzle box and solve it.
Precautions While Performing the Process
- Avoid using cardboard with a glossy surface for this project. Even though it might be tempting, the finish will make it harder to cut through later on in the process and could create an uneven final product.
- The glue you decide to use will have a big impact on how your puzzle box comes out and what kind of materials are required along with it so take some time before deciding which one would work best for your particular needs. –
- A lot of people opt for hot glue because of its versatility, but there’s also superglue – both can dry quickly as well as restrict access once they set up, so think about that too when deciding what adhesive option is best suited for you.
- If your material is cardboard, then scoring it will make it much easier for excess pieces that come off during the cutting and bending to be removed without damaging the outside surface.
- This should also provide a guide map on where they need to score their lines when preparing them for folding as well, so there won’t be any confusion later on down the line.
- You’ll want sharp blades like craft knives or Xacto knives because duller ones may drag against what you’re trying to cut, which creates unwanted stress points along with marks left behind from dragging motions – this could cause problems.
Lastly, we hope that the processes we have mentioned here will surely help make a cardboard puzzle box. It would help if you always were cautious while using knives and other sharp objects. Besides, while using glue, it is better to wear gloves. This will protect your skin from the harmful effect of the chemicals. Thank you, and have a good day.
You may read also – How to Make a Polar Express Train from Cardboard Boxes