How to Get Something Out of a Shower Drain
It is used to convey water from showers, and bathroom floor drains to local gravity sewer systems. In this article, I will discuss how to get something out of a shower drain. So let us get into the main discussion.
A shower drain is a plumbing fixture consisting of a perforated pipe with smooth walls. The lower end of the drain terminates at an opening in the floor, or it can release at a grate or basket near the entrance.
Common Issues Regarding Shower Drain:
Two of the most common issues that you will experience with your shower drain are clogs and slow draining. There are many causes to these two problems, each requiring a different solution.
Clogs are usually caused by hair, soap scum, or mildew buildup, which one of the following methods can easily be fixed. Slow draining is sometimes caused by other items clogging up the pipes leading to the drain line, or it can be due to improper installation or poor design.
To check for proper installation, make sure there are no leaks near the shower pan where it meets walls/flooring; if there are no visible signs of damage, then force some water into the drain to see if water comes out under pressure at any point this indicates that pipes need to be replaced.
Still, if the water stops coming out, it can be fixed by using one of the following methods.
Guide on How to Get Something Out of a Shower Drain:
Method 1: Chemical Drain Cleaner
A chemical drain cleaner is meant to dissolve and clear any obstructions that might exist in the pipes. The most common chemicals used for this purpose are Drano and Liquid Plumber, which contain sodium hydroxide and lye.
Avoid mixing different brands, as the chemicals will react with each other creating dangerous fumes and increasing the chance of boiling over or splashing back towards you while trying to mix it in the drain.
Method 2: Cables
A snake is a handheld or wall-mounted tool available at your local hardware store. The snake consists of several segments of stainless steel cable, each with its handle, while some models feature multiple lines in one unit.
These tools are used to clear the drain by ripping through the debris obstructing flow while rotating around into different angles that chemical cleaners can’t reach.
When using this method, you need to ensure that the snake fully covers the entire length of pipe where it enters and exits your home (don’t forget about any horizontal lines).
If it does not reach part of these areas but successfully clears another place, you might still get more back up happening in the newly cleared section due to the debris now stuck in the untouched regions of the pipe.
Method 3: Auger (Roto-rooter)
These devices are commonly referred to as sewer snakes, and they function by moving up and down the drain clearance area, removing any buildup or objects that might be preventing water flow.
They consist of a long tube with an end resembling an auger bit with small circular perforations.
Water pressure is used to push these bits through your pipes while also pushing anything they scrape off into oblivion further down the line, where it can be picked up by local waste management services or found by you at your curbside on garbage day. The drill is available for rent at most hardware stores, along with instructions for use.
The most important thing to keep in mind while trying any of these methods is that there are risks involved, so always read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully before attempting to use any of these devices (that’s why I’ve provided links where applicable).
By following the manufacturer’s instructions and using safe practices while operating these or similar tools, you can remove obstructions without damaging your home. If you don’t feel comfortable attempting to clear your drain, call a licensed plumber who can do it safely and efficiently for you.
Precautions While Getting Something Out of a Shower Drain:
Proceed with caution! These instructions do not cover every possible scenario. Use your best judgment. Wear protective eyewear and equipment, especially if you have to stretch into the shower drain to reach your lost object. Ensure that the water is turned off before beginning work on the P-trap or shower drain assembly.
- Make sure you clean up all of the hair around the base of your P-Trap before starting this project, so none falls down the drain once you remove it from your shower.
- Before attempting to get something out of a blocked shower drain, make sure that both sections of pipe (the P-trap and vertical section) are clear by running plenty of water through them first. If you have to, stick a long-handled brush down the drain to clear any debris inside the vertical pipe.
- After your object is out, make sure you use plenty of water and dish soap to thoroughly wash away any hair or residue left behind so it does not cause future problems with your shower draining correctly.
What Are the Features of A Good Quality Shower Drain?
1. The drain’s effective cross-sectional area should be greater than the total drain height. The ratio of its cross-sectional area to the full size should be at least 0.25; this will ensure that water can quickly move away from the shower drain when you finish bathing.
2. The inner surface of a shower drain is usually made by polishing or grinding, and it should generally have a mirror-like luster even after long-term use. Its roughness is within 20 μm (the smaller, the better).
3. A good-quality shower drain shall not release an unpleasant smell in the bathroom when used for a long time (because many bathroom deodorizing articles have strong acidic or alkaline chemicals), but it has a specific residual chlorine odor, which is not conducive to the release of toxic gases.
4. A good-quality shower drain is resistant to acid, and alkali corrosion under normal conditions can prevent rusting for a long time. There are no obvious surface deformations after being used for a long time.
I hope you have obtained all the required information on how to get something out of a shower drain. Also, ensure all the necessary precautions while performing the process. Thank you and have a nice day!