How to Lighten Louis Vuitton Vachetta Leather
Vachetta leather is one of the most iconic and recognizable types of leather on the market. It’s a natural, full-grain cowhide that has been given a special treatment to make it more durable and water-resistant. The process involves rubbing oils into the hide to keep it from cracking or breaking down over time. However, this type of leather can become quite dark as oils are rubbed off, and dirt starts accumulating on its surface. This post will discuss how to lighten louis Vuitton vachetta leather so that your favorite items stay looking new for years to come!
10 Ways on How to Lighten Louis Vuitton Vachetta Leather
1. Leather Conditioning
Cleaning and conditioning your Louis Vuitton bag’s leather is the first step in lightening Vachetta leather. Leather can be cleaned with a gentle, soap-free detergent diluted in water. Apply the solution to a clean cotton cloth and gently rub it into the hide; then rinse it with clean water and dry it by dabbing it with a towel.
2. Using Neutral Dye
You can dye Louis Vuitton vachetta leather using an oxidizing agent, which will help you remove the natural yellow coloring and lighten your bag’s color to a creamy beige tone by chemically changing it from orange-brown to grey-brown. Oxidizing agents include vinegar, lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide, and ammonia.
3. Using Bleach
Bleaching will lighten the leather that is currently orange-brown to a paler beige. However, you should know that this process may cause irreversible damage to your vachetta bag because bleaching agents will alter the grain of the hide. If you want to do this, mix 1 part bleach with 3 parts water and apply it to the bag using a soft toothbrush. Then, use a clean cloth and rinse the leather thoroughly with tap water.
4. Scrubbing Through Metal Polish
You can use metal polish such as Brasso or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser- to lighten the leather by scrubbing it with a sponge; then, you can rinse the bag and dry it with a clean cloth. If you use these cleaners, make sure that your bag is dry before putting it back on.
5. Using Lemon Juice
To remove dirt from your Louis Vuitton vachetta leather, gather some lemon juice, a clean cloth, and a soft toothbrush. Dip the toothbrush in the lemon juice, rub it on the leather, and then wipe it with a clean cloth. Make sure that you pat your bag dry when finished to avoid stains, or unnecessary moisture picked up from the air.
6. Using Metal Polish Cream
Most metals are dark and edgy in color, so it’s not uncommon to transfer their coloring onto white leather. To remove the metal shine from your bag, apply cream cleaner on a soft cloth and rub it gently into the hide until it disappears.
7. Cleaning with Microfiber Cloth
A microfiber cloth can be used to shine up the Louis Vuitton vachette leather, and it’s also good for removing dirt. Wipe your bag with a light hand in an upwards motion, and you will notice a clean result.
8. Using Artificial Nail Polish
There are many tutorials on how to lighten Louis Vuitton vachetta leather using artificial nail polish. You can simply try any of these ideas to test which one works for your bag or you.
9. Using Hair Spray
If you don’t have artificial nail polish, you may use hair spray instead. The idea is to spray the hair onto a clean cloth and then rub it into your bag. Make sure that you’re careful not to over-spray or get any of the hairsprays on your bag’s hardware.
10. Using Oil
Rubbing oil onto the leather may remove dirt and soften it up as well. However, make sure that you don’t use oil or grease with a strong scent like olive because it may leave a residue on the surface of your bag.
Tips To Prevent Louis Vuitton’s Vachetta Leather From Discoloration:
1. Clean your bag with water to remove the dust and dirt on the surface. Rub gently, make sure not to rub too hard or twist as you may scratch them off. Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe out any wetness left on the leather after cleaning it with water.
2. Implement a product that can protect your bag from discoloration and molding. To do so, first, check the ingredients of the product which you wish to use: it should contain either pigment or wax as an ingredient for it to be able to protect your leather. The pigment will cover up some of the colors on existing scratches, and the wax will help seal them.
3. Apply the product to your bag with a soft clean cloth. Make sure you apply an even amount of product all over, as the uneven application may lead to some discoloration in certain parts of your bag. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions if it is different from what I have mentioned above; do not apply too much product, or you’ll end up with a bag covered in wax, and it might not give the illusion that it has been cleaned.
4. Rub off any polishing residue left on your bag using an old soft toothbrush (do not use abrasive products). Next, wipe out any remaining liquid with a clean, dry cloth.
5. Get a product that can prevent the colors on your bag from fading (e.g., sun-blocking creams). Apply it to your bag in an even manner, and rub off any remaining residue with a clean, dry cloth that you have sprayed with water beforehand. You should do this step after cleaning your bag, as any moisture left on the leather may inhibit the effect of the sun-blocking cream.
6. Use a sunblock cream on your Vachetta, make sure it can protect against both UVB and UVA. Apply it to the surface of your bag; remember to rub off any residue you may have left with water that has been sprayed onto a clean cloth beforehand.
You Can Check It Out to Dull Patent Leather
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Put Leather Conditioner on Vachetta?
Yes, you can. A leather conditioner will help to moisturize and nourish the leather of your vachetta. The leather conditioner that you should use is a water-based product. Therefore, it will not damage the surface of the vachetta or cause any color changes in it.
What Is Treated Vachetta?
Vachetta is a high-quality leather that has been specially treated to make it resistant to water, mold, and mildew. It is typically used for luxury handbags, shoes, jackets, luggage, furniture, and accessories.
The term “vachetta” was coined in the mid-19th century by French tanner Jean Vachettier who gave his special treatment process name. The process included several steps such as:
• Steam cleaning the hides with alum;
• Draining out all moisture from the hides;
• Adding salts or sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) at a concentration of about 10% weight/weight solution;
• Drying at 45°C for about 24 hours;
• After drying for 12 hours, rub back and forth on a marble slab until the salt gets adhered to every fiber of the hide.
Is Mink Oil Good for Vachetta Leather?
Mink oil is used to protect, condition, and waterproof vachetta leather. It is recommended that the oil be applied twice a year or more often if needed. The benefits of mink oil are:
• Mink oil has excellent UV protection properties.
• It can help reduce mildew growth.
• Mink oil helps protect the leather from water damage.
Is Coconut Oil Bad for Leather?
Coconut oil is actually a good alternative to help preserve leather and give it more shine. It also makes your leather more durable and helps to keep the leather from cracking. In order to use coconut oil, you will need to mix it with other oils such as olive or almond oil.
The process of lightening Louis Vuitton Vachetta leather is quite simple. First, you need to use a sponge with water and some dish soap. You then spread out the sponge over the area that you want to cleanse. Next, scrub in circular motions until it becomes wet again from all the dirt coming off your bag. Repeat this step as many times as necessary for lighter coloration results!
Actually, there are many ways to clean and take care of your bag. Still, you must always follow the instructions on how to lighten Louis Vuitton vachetta leather carefully. We hope this post was helpful! If you have any more questions about caring for your Louis Vuitton bag or anything else related to luxury fashion, please feel free to contact us.