How to Replace Knobs on Stoves Cooker
If you have a gas or electric stove, chances are it has knobs on the front for adjusting the burner. These may be either up or down and left or right to control the size of the flame. But what happens if one of these gets broken? The knob is no longer operable because there’s nothing to turn it with. In this article, we’ll tell you how to replace knobs on stoves cooker so that your stove will work like new again.
How Knobs on Stoves Cooker Gets Damaged?
The knobs on stove cookers can get damaged due to various reasons. Sitting over the flame, direct contact with heat and moisture also act as culprits. The most common reason is negligence when cleaning the kitchen in a hurried manner Knob of the cooker needs proper maintenance because we use it every day. When it gets damaged, sometimes you’re unable to cook food, while those challenged with their handicaps don’t find it possible to get help from others to replace them. In this case, there’s no alternative but to replace the knob yourself if you know about repairing things.
Step-Wise Guide on How to Replace Knobs on Stoves Cooker:
Knob replacement seems a costly and unproductive task, especially for those of us who are not blessed with much mechanical know-how. However, you can either shell out a lot of money to have it repaired by a technician or replace the knob yourself at little expense.
The following step-wise guide will help you successfully change knobs in your stove:
- It is necessary to ensure that both decorative and control knobs are removed from the stovetop. To do this, use pliers to remove the set screw present inside each knob that locks them in place. This may be quite tricky as there are chances they might break while removing the screws; you can either use a screwdriver or the control knob itself to remove it.
- Next, you have to gather all the equipment necessary for the replacement. And prepare yourself for removing the screws from the stove.
- Unscrew and remove all the decorative knobs from the corresponding hole on which they are placed.
- Once you have removed all knobs, take out the screws present beneath each knob first using a Phillips screwdriver so that they do not interfere while calling in sandblasting for cleaning your stovetop.
- You will then need to remove the control panel from underneath each of these holes by removing two more screws; this is usually placed at an angle against the wall behind every hole on your cooktop. This should help you gain access to clean the interior of your stove and get rid of old dirt-filled grease, if any, accumulated in particular places.
- Once you have removed all the screws, carefully lift them off and place them separately on a flat surface. This will make it easier for you to replace the old knobs later because they are quite expensive to replace!
- Use sandblasting to clean your cooktop before applying any paint or enamel over it; this is done by placing the nozzle inside each hole and moving it around – do not overdo this or apply too much pressure. Ensure that no grease is accumulated anywhere under the control panel; otherwise, use compressed air for cleaning purposes.
- Now, remove all protective tapes from knobs using hazardous tape remover; ensure that you wear appropriate safety gear and keep your skin away from the adhesive.
- Brush off all dust and dirt to ensure that the surface is immaculate. Also, wash it with soap and water after this to ensure no traces of adhesive or dust are stuck on any part of the cooktop. This will help you achieve a smooth finish in terms of cleaning and painting! (Mostly used by painters).
- Apply a generous coat of enamel to the control panel; do not put too much pressure during application as this might cause some minor cracks while drying if applied excessively. It may take up to an hour to dry as well, so do not rush it but let it air-dry naturally.
- Now apply a thin coat of enamel on each knob using a brush so that it spreads evenly and covers the entire space inside; let dry for at least an hour.
- Once you have applied two coats, ensure that the surface is arid before applying one more coat, as this will help avoid any chances of peeling off over time.
- You can also apply your favorite color to improve aesthetic appeal if you are replacing them because some minor scratches or damages spoiled them!
Precautions While Replacing Knobs on Stoves Cooker:
- Unplug the stove’s power cord first before you replace the knobs on the stoves cooker.
- Make sure all parts are in place and fit perfectly.
- Wipe down the surface with a damp cloth for a clean touch and a more beautiful look to it, then apply some wax to protect from scratches.
- If you encounter any issues while changing the knob, contact your local professional technician immediately or visit the nearest repair store near my location.
- Always use caution while working around gas lines and be aware that there is always danger involved whenever you are messing with gas stovetops kitchen appliances safety precautions must be followed at all times: never attempt to change knobs on stoves cookers by doing it yourself if you’re not sure what’s involved or you’re unsure of how to proceed.
- Address any problems immediately before they escalate into something major and end up causing a fire: gas units can be hazardous if you mismanage them.
- And last but not the least- always keep things clean and neat around the stovetops area because it is related to your safety, so be careful while replacing parts on stoves kitchen appliances near me.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you replace knobs on gas stove?
It is possible to replace knobs on a gas stove, but it will require some DIY skills.
The first thing you need to do is unscrew the old knob and remove the screws that hold it in place. Once the screws are removed, you can then take off the old knob and replace it with a new one. Make sure to tighten the screws back into place after replacing the knob.
Should my stove get hot when oven is on?
It is best to leave your stove on the high setting when the oven is on. This will help to ensure that your food cooks evenly and that there is no risk of fire.
Now you know that replacing knobs on stoves cookers is very easy to do. However, this is only a how-to guide in replacing the broken or worn knobs on your stovetops, not an instruction manual. It would be prudent to determine which knob needs replacement and which knob can simply be cleaned off with household cleaning products before attempting either of these processes. I hope you have obtained all the related information about how to replace knobs on stoves cooker. Thank you and have a nice day!
You may also read – How to Make a Secondary Combustion Wood Stove