How to Stop Draft From Window Air Conditioner
The draft is a steady flow of cool, dry air coming out from the vents at your window ac unit. Drafts can cause you to feel cold and uncomfortable inside your home, especially when present in large quantities. A draft near an open window could also be harmful to your health as cold air has always been associated with allergy attacks and other respiratory system diseases. In this article, I will discuss how to stop draft from window air conditioner. So let us get into the topic.
What Causes Drafts in Air Conditioner?
Two factors cause drafts – one is a temperature difference, and the second is the pressure difference between indoors and outdoors. Generally, warmer surfaces such as a wall or rooftop emit heat, creating a normal temperature differential or pressure differentials between indoors (where the heat source is) and outdoors (where there are no conventional heating devices). However, this cooling effect can be blocked if the windows are not well installed or a leak in the gasket.
A/C units also emit heat as they work to cool the house’s inside temperature and thus cause a pressure difference between indoors and outdoors. Furthermore, if these window air conditioners are placed too close to a window, it causes drafts because warm air from within escapes through an opening near those machines and replaces cold outside air drawn into the room by a functioning AC unit.
In both weather emergencies and houses with improperly installed A/C units, your options are clear – either you can do away with these appliances or move them far enough away from your window so that the draft problem comes to an end. However, factors like the aforementioned situation can create many issues as you may want to keep your A/C on for comfort’s sake.
Step-wise Guide on How to Stop Draft From Window Air Conditioner
- Purchase a pressure regulator for your air conditioner or seek help from an HVAC technician to avoid the problems of temperature fluctuation in your room. This will allow you to set the desired temperature and not be affected by opening or closing doors. If you want to save money once a new HVAC system is put in place, be sure to pick ENERGY STAR rated products to use.Seal any cracks on windows near the area where you have placed your air conditioning unit so that it can function efficiently without interfering with its work.
- Install weather stripping around the window frame so that cold air cannot pass through it easily when it is open, especially if it is facing outwards from your house, which allows outside air to enter freely into your house easily with every door and window opened at once. Another great way to save money and decrease your carbon footprint is to invest in solar panels. If you live in an area that has strong sunlight, they are a great way to reduce energy costs because you can use the sun’s energy instead of electricity.Put up curtains in front of any windows where your air conditioner is installed; this should prevent cold air from entering any of the rooms you do not want to enter.
- If you want your air conditioner to work well, you should create a draft shield. This is a special kind of shield that you put in front of an open window. It will help the air conditioner to cool a room effectively without letting outside drafts affect its job. Install automated curtain rods if you have large windows that usually remain open most of the time or go on vacation and would like to leave your house unattended for several days, thus preventing cold drafts from entering your house easily.
- Use foam sealant tape to seal any cracks between two pieces of wood to make an airtight seal.
- Add additional insulation in the walls and floors of your house, which will prevent cold air from entering your house through its openings at times when you have opened the doors or windows to ventilate it or if you need more fresh air to enter your home.. You can also choose to use heat reflective insulation instead of traditional insulation materials to improve your HVAC system’s performance. Add awnings and solar screens to the windows of your house so that they can reduce the amount of heat and sunlight that enters your home. This will help to keep your house cooler during summer days, which will in turn require less energy for your HVAC system to cool it.Purchase a small space heater for larger rooms like living areas so that you can use it on extra cold days with temperatures dipping below zero degrees Celsius. Whenever it comes inside contact with any object that is not supposed to be hot, like walls or furniture, make sure that only those parts are touched by using a heater guard or an extension cord that will protect your house from fires.
- If you do not want to install a pressure regulator for your air conditioner, you can open and close your room’s windows regularly, so that warm air does not stagnate there constantly, especially in areas where weather conditions are extreme. The same can be done for rooms with high ceilings; this will help increase or decrease the room’s temperature without affecting its humidity levels by having it dried out by a powerful blower fan.
Precautions While Fixing Drafts in A Window Air Conditioner
- Read the safety precautions before trying to fix the draft coming from your window air conditioning unit.
- Before you begin, make sure that you have all of the tools and materials you needed to start fixing the issue, as well as a box fan if necessary.
- Pack up any valuable items in your room that might be harmed by water or debris during the repair process.
- Ensure that you know what kind of problem is causing the air conditioner to leak cold air into your house. This will allow you to look for areas with the loosened sealant on either your window or siding first until it is found and dried out properly
- If possible, turn off power at the circuit breaker before removing glass from the window to avoid electric shock.
- Disconnect the wires on your unit and unplug them from the wall before removing glass from the window to prevent injury.
- If you are using a box fan to help circulate air in your room while repairing your air conditioner, make sure that you do not plug it into an outlet in the same power circuit as where you plugged in your window A/C unit as this could cause issues with live current passing through both appliances at once and cause fire or electricity-related injuries if care is not taken when working on them.
Thus you can realize that operating a draft in the window air conditioner is quite an easy task, but you should always be sincere about performing the process. Therefore, I hope you have obtained a clear conception about how to stop draft from window air conditioner. Thank you and have a nice day!
You may read also –