How to Trick a Thermostat to Make It Colder
Thermostats don’t actually measure room temperature; they measure heat. Heat, not temperature. How much heat from the furnace or boiler is getting into your home by conduction (touching), convection (wind around you), and radiation (light bulbs, TV’s). These tools are designed to keep a space at 70 degrees. If your furnace kicks on, it won’t be overshooting its target since heating energy comes from burning fossil fuels that carbonize and release their stored energy fairly uniformly across all temperatures. Today I will discuss how to trick a thermostat to make it colder.
Step-wise Guide on How to Trick a Thermostat to Make It Colder
Apart from the obvious default setting of thermostats, it is possible to change the default setting to make your room colder. So save some money by following these simple steps:
Get a bucket of cold water. Tightly seal the lid or cover with aluminum foil and set it in front of the heater for some time so that after a long time, when you are about to go to sleep, it will appear as though the heater has been switched off.
Close window blinds and curtains (if there are any). The reason behind doing this is because if there is no sunlight entering into the room, then obviously no heat would enter as well, which means that your room will automatically get colder than without blinds and curtains.
If there are any plants in the room, remove them from the next day because they make your room hotter by absorbing heat & emitting oxygen. So make sure that no plant is present in the room. Step 4: Install an air conditioner in front of a heater (as shown in step 1). Do not switch it on; just keep the window open and adjust its position so that it blocks out all heat entering your room… thereby making your room much colder than before!
Now, you will have to block out any visible light entering your bedroom, after which you should adjust the temperature knob to make it feel colder than before. Then go to bed only when necessary.
If you have a naughty pet in the room, then make sure to switch off the heater for some time and let the naughty critter freeze. Then open the window & AC simultaneously so that pet will get warmer than before by absorbing heat entering your room through the open window.
How to Turn on the Air in a Locked Thermostat?
Does it ever happen to you that after turning off the air conditioner, it still works? Or if you set your thermostat at 70 degrees, but it is still hot? This may be due to a climate override if an authorized person changes the settings on the thermostat, leaving them unlocked.
- Turn off the power source for fifteen minutes and then turn it back on. If this does not work, repeat this step until your thermostat is completely turned off. Then wait one hour before restarting all systems again.
- Call up the HVAC technician for help in adjusting the system settings so that they are locked again, or call up a tech support number to ask about your problem as well.
- If your thermostat is not working, but the fan and lights are, try resetting factory settings. This may work for some types.
- After restarting the system, seek help from professionals in addressing your problem so that you can get a solution as soon as possible. Have an expert check whether all cables between the HVAC unit and thermostat are connected properly, or they have been damaged due to electrical surges, etc. Some wires might be switched, which could cause a malfunction of both units. Proponents suggest checking all of this before taking any action on your own because it could damage your entire setup if you do not know what you are doing, and repair costs would go up if there has already been a fire.
- After checking the thermostat and wiring, it might be time to replace your thermostat if everything seems to be in order. The problem could have been with the device itself.
- If nothing works after all efforts are exhausted, take a break from trying anything else for at least 48 hours or a week and try again later. Take care of your body during this time to think better and clearly without stress and anger over the system not working as intended.
Precautions While Learning How to Trick a Thermostat to Make It Colder
- Never use a thermostat without the authorities’ approval, and all safety measures, such as warning signs, must be followed during usage.
- Use appropriate protective gear while using a thermostat to make it colder to reduce risks of injury that may result from moving about inside an air conditioner or refrigerator filled with cold liquid nitrogen.
- Remove any dentures adorning your mouth before adapting chemicals to treat external parts of the human anatomy for purposes of improving beauty or making it function better.
- Cold can bring pain, so always prepare for this eventuality by wearing thick enough clothing to insulate you against extreme changes in temperature on doors you attempt to freeze at home with chemicals used as a refrigerant.
- Remove any magazines and books that are lying around the room or area you will be freezing to avoid accidental injury from them being frozen and breaking off, causing shards of ice to fly out at high speed and potentially hit a vital part of your anatomy with enough force to puncture veins, arteries or other organs in the body.
How to Make Window AC Colder
Clean the Air Filter:
The air filter plays a huge role in determining the cooling capacity of your air conditioner. If it is not cleaned right, you will not be able to cool the room or area. Even if you have put on full load in your AC unit, but it doesn’t seem to work properly, then most probably there is some dirt on the filter, or else something might be blocking its way, causing problems for the proper functioning of the air conditioner. For this, clean the air filter as soon as possible and enjoy the cool breeze inside the home once more.
Clean the Front Grills:
It would help if you also cleaned the front grills of your air conditioner. It is responsible for redirecting the airstream to produce cold air at the place where you want it to be. This helps you in producing cool air and optimizes the cooling capacity of your AC unit. These days, most people don’t take proper care of their AC units, resulting in losing money since they have invested so much in making sure that their house is comfortable throughout the year.
Clean the Evaporator Coil:
The evaporator coil is responsible for removing humidity from warm air, and the condensing coils are responsible for converting moist air into water. These two things are essential to cool the room or area properly. You can either clean these two coils by cleaning them manually, or else you can use an appliance like a vacuum cleaner to remove debris that might have accumulated on them.
Clean the Condenser:
The condenser is the part of the air conditioner responsible for removing heat from your home or office premises. These days, with all the construction work going around in our surroundings, there are chances that the dust accumulated on the condenser might be blocking it and hence hampering the proper working of your AC unit. So clean off the dust and debris from your condenser to smooth running your AC unit throughout the year without any unwanted problems cropping up.
Straighten the Coil Fins:
If your air conditioner is not cooling the room properly, then most probably the coil fins might be bent, or else you might have a problem with some of them. To fix this, straighten out those fins using a flat head screwdriver, and after that, turn on your AC unit. This will ensure proper airflow and smooth running of your AC unit throughout the year without any unwanted problems.
Clean the External Grates:
The air conditioner grates protect the coil fins and prevent them from falling into objects or people. These days, if you see any dirt on these grates, then be sure that there is some problem with your AC unit. Either it is not working properly, or else part of the system is missing out, creating problems for you in cooling your home or office premises.
Clean Indoor Air Vent:
It’s been said that indoor air vent has a direct influence on how well AC unit runs as it lets the warm air enter inside the room via this vent which then allows cold air to mix up with warm air inside the room and hence producing cool breeze inside your house or office premises. Mostly, this is also responsible for any dust buildup on your AC unit. So clean this vent as well if you want to enjoy cool air throughout the year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is There a Way to Override Your Thermostat?
There is no surefire way to override your thermostat, but there are a few things you can do to increase the chances of success.
You can first call your energy provider and ask if they offer remote access to your thermostat. This will give you the ability to control your temperature from a distance.
You can also try using an app that allows you to control your thermostat remotely. There are many apps available on Google Play and the App Store, so it is worth trying out a few until you find one that works well for you.
Finally, if all else fails, you can try contacting your energy provider directly and asking them to enable remote access to your thermostat.
What Does the Override Button Do on a Thermostat?
The override button on a thermostat allows you to change the temperature setting without waiting for the system to cool down. This is useful if you want to quickly adjust the temperature when you come home from work or if it’s too hot in your house.
Why Is Heat Blinking on My Braeburn Thermostat?
There could be a few reasons why heat is blinking on your Braeburn Thermostat. The most common reason is that the sensor has failed and needs to be replaced. To do this, you will need to call Braeburn customer service and schedule an appointment for a technician to come out and replace the sensor.
If the sensor is not the problem, there could be another issue with the wiring or control board. In this case, you would need to call Braeburn customer service and have them send a technician out to inspect and/or replace the wiring or control board.
When Should I Reset My Braeburn Thermostat?
It depends on various factors, including the age and type of thermostat. However, most experts recommend resetting your thermostat at least once a year to ensure that it is operating at its best.
I hope you have obtained a clear idea about how to trick a thermostat to make it colder. Also, ensure proper safety while performing the process. Thank you and have a nice day!