How to Turn Jeans Into a Pencil Skirt
Pencil skirts are considered to be one of the most popular types of skirts today. They are long and form-fitting with a little flare and a narrow hem. The pencil skirt’s name is derived from the fact that they resemble a piece of a writing instrument with a narrow barrel and wide tip.
When it comes to choosing the right clothing for your body type, you should always consider what would work best for your figure so that you can look good in them. I will discuss how to turn jeans into a pencil skirt in this article. So let’s get started.
Step-Wise Guide on How to Turn Jeans Into a Pencil Skirt:
The first thing you need to do is pull the jeans apart. Next, ensure that your waist area is in line with the back part of the jeans. Next, cut a straight line from front to back, using an adjustable measuring tape and fabric scissors; make sure that you cut as close to your body as possible.
To make a slit in your denim, first cut a small hole. Then, pull off the excess piece of material (i.e., the front piece) and tuck in the raw edge under so that it forms a seamless tab on top of the denim. This will be used for securing the denim later on.
Now Comes Another Step:
Turning up your cuffs! Cut a slit along one side of each cuff until about half an inch from the cuff and fold over. You can choose to leave about an inch away from the folded edge for added thickness, but if you’re going for a more fitted look, cut all of it off.
The Next Step Is Where the Real Fun Begins: Sewing!
Using thread and a needle, sew right along the inside hem of your jeans until you reach that tab you made earlier. When done sewing, pull out the excess material so that it forms pleats at the bottom. For extra support when making these pleats, make sure to double-stitch along this area.
Now Comes Another Important Step: Securing Those Pleats!
This may seem like a simple task, but it is very crucial. First, take that tab you made earlier and pin it on top of the pleats. Then, using a needle and thread to sew right along this part until it’s securely fastened, make sure to leave about half an inch in between so that the stitches don’t tear through your jeans when wearing tight boots or shoes.
You can either leave the tabs sticking out on top or sew them into your trouser fabric when sewed. I’ve decided to leave them sticking out for this tutorial since I’m planning to wear my denim pencil skirt with tights.
The last step is optional, but if you really want to make the skirt extra durable, try folding over that hem of your jeans and then sew a line along with it. This will give your skirt a nice sewn edge along the bottom and strengthen its overall construction.
After all this hard work is done, you are now ready to wear your denim “skirt” with pride! Be sure to go for ankle boots or stilettos so that you can show off every little detail of the stitching on this DIY project.
Precautions While Making a Pencil Skirt from Jeans:
1. The color of the denim fabric should be dark to get a decent look.
2. One should start work on this skirt with proper planning and care to look perfect after it is done.
3. Proper stitching is fundamental while making a pencil skirt from jeans. If done properly, it will give the proper shape to the skirt and make it look sexy.
4. You can make this pencil skirt of any length you want but don’t forget to wear heels for a stylish look, so pay attention during your work on this project and time yourself as per your desired outcome.
5. If you use extra-wide jeans, you will also be able to make it into a pencil skirt, but you have to be very careful while using extra-wide denim as if not stitched properly, the entire skirt can fall apart, and even break at some places.
6. The thread used for this project should be a bit stronger than the usual sewing threads so that you can give proper shape to the pencil skirt.
7. You can make any alteration in size according to your requirement; for example, you can make it curvier or hourglass-shaped by taking out a few stitches from both the waist area and hips of jeans and use one colored thread instead of two when stitching such parts; otherwise, it may look odd and weird on your body type or height
8. Color blocking is easy, but most designs are tiring ones, so don’t get forced into thinking about them. Leave them for the experts
9. Planning of design and patterns is also essential while making a pencil skirt from jeans; if you don’t know how to go about it, then the internet is full of tutorials and videos that will help you understand and learn steps to make this skirt easily.
Frequently Asked Question
Can Pants Be Made Into a Skirt?
Yes, pants can be made into a skirt if you follow the right steps. First, find a pair of pants that fit well and have a comfortable waistband. Then cut off the legs of the pants so that they are just above the ankle. Next, sew the legs of the pants together at the waistband to form one long skirt.
Are Pencil Skirts Easy?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the style of pencil skirt will vary depending on your body type and height. However, there are a few tips that can help you achieve a flattering pencil skirt:
1. Choose a pencil skirt that is fitted at the waistline but has some room in the hips. This will ensure that the skirt falls smoothly around your curves and doesn’t hug your waist too tightly.
2. Make sure the length of the pencil skirt is appropriate for your height. Skirts that are too short will look too juvenile, and skirts that are too long will make you look like a fashion victim.
3. Wear high heels with your pencil skirt to elongate your legs and give yourself an extra boost of femininity. Pair it with nude or light-colored shoes to match your outfit perfectly.
What Type of Fabric Is Best for Pencil Skirt?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best fabric for a pencil skirt will vary depending on the style and fit you are looking for. However, some popular types of fabrics that can be used for a pencil skirt include:
• A woven fabric such as Cotton or linen.
• A lightweight, airy fabric such as voile, chiffon, or netting.
• A stiffer fabric such as wool or cashmere.
Is 100% Cotton Good for Skirts?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the type of skirt you wear and the fabric. However, 100% cotton is a good option for skirts because it is durable and will not stretch out over time.
Is Poly Cotton Good for Skirts?
Poly Cotton is a type of fabric made from polyester and Cotton. It is a versatile fabric that can be used for skirts, pants, dresses, and other clothing items. The main benefits of using poly cotton are that it is:
I hope you have a clear idea of turning jeans into a pencil skirt. Follow the precautions while performing the process. Thank you, and have a nice day!
Check out our article How to Make a Half Circle Skirt