How to Cut a Metal Door Frame
A metal door frame offers a great deal of physical protection for the doors to be installed. The frame must be fitted perfectly because it holds the door in its place and supports its weight, so there should not be any chance of loosening or breaking the frame. Today I am going to discuss an easy way about how to cut a metal door frame.
Important Points about How to Cut a Metal Door Frame
- Firstly, measure the length and height of your current space where you want to install your new metal door frames. Make sure that if you have wooden flooring, measure that too, as it will ease pressure on the glass pane by keeping it level with wooden flooring.
- Secondly, you need to measure from your door’s threshold. This is very important as it helps you get the right size of frame for your doors. It means that if there’s any gap between the doorway and the floor, then go for frames with a kick plate rather than a flush-mounted style so that you can easily fill up the gaps without experiencing any difficulties at all.
- Thirdly, make sure that once installed, nothing like cutting has to be done on them again in the future, or they are not too long either. By doing this, you would be able to use them repeatedly, saving money and time altogether, which you would have lost while trying to make any adjustments.
- Fourthly, you also need to measure the width of the door frame as it should be neatly fitted into the space that we had already measured earlier. This will help avoid frustration and disappointment later on, so I suggest that you give it a proper thought before going for frames with slight overhangs or flush-mounted styles. By doing this, not only would they look good but also save you time from having to readjust them again in the future as well.
- Fifthly, you need to measure the distance from the top of your door’s threshold till its bottom edge which is called ‘height’. There are two main reasons for measuring this, and you need to know both of them. Firstly, if the floor is not even or sloped, then it would be good to have a frame with a kick plate to ensure that the door stays level while also helping fill up gaps created by floors that slope from to side. Secondly, depending on the height of your frame, it can help you determine whether you will open your doors easily despite any obstacles like low spaces or furniture right beside them.
- Sixthly, the last thing that we need to measure is the width of our door frames so their size could easily adjust itself according to what we had already measured earlier.
Step-Wise Guide on How to Cut a Metal Door Frame
When it comes to cutting a metal door frame, this can be a challenge because it is made from tough materials, but once you know how to do it, there is no stopping you. This article, therefore, highlights some of the important steps when it comes to accomplishing this task. Here they are:-
Step 1: Selecting the Items That Are Needed for Cutting a Metal Door Frame
You will need an air hammer and chisel, various cutters, measuring tape, and sharpening stones. Ensure that your safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, is put on before you start using these materials. You should also wash your hands with soap thoroughly before starting work with any of these tools or cleaning them.
Step 2: Using the Chisel to Remove Excess Materials From the Metal Door Frame
This step is crucial since it will remove some of the excess chunks and pieces by applying a bit of pressure. You can use either an electric hammer or air hammer for this task but ensure that you don’t damage the surface due to overusing. Therefore, make sure you know how much pressure is allowed in order not to compromise your work.
After all the excess parts have been removed with a chisel, you are meant to eliminate any sharp edges with stones. The best way to do this is by grinding them on both sides until they level out. This should take no longer than 20 minutes.
Step 3: Marking the Exact Areas Where You Intend to Use an Air Hammer or Electric Hammer
The next step is marking the places that you intend to use the hammer on. This is important because it will help make sure that all your parts are aligned and leveled out properly.
A few tips when using a chisel:-
If you want to use a chisel on a metal shaft or angle, you need to hit it lightly with the chisel at different angles. You shouldn’t use too much force, or you could damage your work. If the angle of the metal is too wide, you only need to hit it from one side.
Step 4: Cutting the Metal Door Frame Using a Bench Grinder or Angle Grinder
This step is best done with a bench grinder since it will be faster and give you better results than an electric one. However, make sure that your hands or gloves are protected before starting work with this tool because it can lead to serious injuries. The first thing you should do when using a bench grinder for cutting metal doors is to put both of them parallel to each other before slowly lowering the speed until you achieve the desired results.
After you get the results you want, move on to grinding each side at different angles until they’re leveled out perfectly. You won’t need more than 5 minutes to do this, but remember to slow down or stop when the parts heat up.
Step 5:using an Angle Grinder to Cut a Door Frame
An angle grinder is also another tool that can be used for cutting metal doors, but it will usually take longer than doing it with a bench grinder since it does not allow you to make any adjustments. Therefore, consider buying an angle grinder and another grinding machine as they both have their individual advantages and disadvantages. To use this tool then follow these steps:-
When using an angle grinder to cut metal doors, always wear gloves to protect your hands from cuts. If the work is not perfect, serious injuries can occur. To get the best results, start by positioning the grinder and door so they are parallel to each other, then slowly lower the speed.
After achieving the desired results, move on to grinding each side at various angles until they are leveled out perfectly. However, don’t forget to slow down or stop when the parts heat up, as this process should not take more than 5 minutes.
Step 6:using an Electric Hand Drill for Cutting Off End Caps and Corners
Many people use a hammer to do this step since it is a widespread practice, especially by those who have never done metal cutting before. However, if you want your job to be perfect (especially with stainless steel doors), then try using an electric hand drill for these purposes instead.
Metal doors come with so many kinds of material and styles that make choosing the best one difficult. However, you can rest easy knowing that every type could be cut down to size if you know-how and have all the right tools for it. I hope you have obtained all the related information about how to cut a metal door frame from this article. Thank you and have a nice day!