How to Place a Rug Under a Desk
Rugs are an easy way to add color and comfort to your space, but they can be difficult to place under desks. Because most flooring is not perfectly level or flush with the wall, adding a rug underneath your desk means that you need to find a way for it to fit without creating any bumps.
Luckily, there are several methods of doing this, one of which is using double-sided tape! Read on below for more information about how to place a rug under a desk easily by using double-sided tape!
10 Methods on How to Place a Rug Under a Desk:
1. Over a Carpet or Hardwood Floor:
Lay a rug on a carpeted floor, and then place your desk on top of the carpet. Make sure that you’re able to slide your desk around without any issues. If you have trouble sliding the desk across the carpet, use a thin piece of cardboard as a barrier between the desk and the rug to prevent slipping.
2. Over a Wood Floor:
Lay a rug, face down, on top of the wood floor. Make sure that there isn’t any extra space between the carpet and the floor. Place your desk on top of the rug, making sure that all sides are flush with the rug’s edges.
3. Over Vinyl Flooring:
Lay a rug, face down, on top of the vinyl floor. Make sure that there isn’t any extra space between the rug and the floor. Place your desk on top of the rug, making sure that all sides are flush with the rug’s edges.
4. Over Concrete Flooring:
Place a plywood sheet underneath your desk. Next, place a rug, face down, on top of the plywood sheet. Make sure that there isn’t any extra space between the rug and the floor. Next, place your desk on top of the rug, making sure that all sides are flush with the rug’s edges.
5. Over a Linoleum Floor:
If you have a linoleum floor, lay out a sheet and place your desk on top of the sheet. Make sure that all sides are flush with the edges of the sheet. Then, place a rug over your desk and around your chair.
6. Over an Area Rug:
If you have a small area rug underneath your desk, but can’t find a flooring solution that works for you, take it out from under the desk and lay it on top of the floor. Fold one corner inward, and then place your desk on top.
7. Under a Desk With Wheels:
Place a rug under your desk with wheels. Make sure that no part of the rug is sticking out beyond the legs of your desk to avoid objects getting caught underneath it. Use heavy-duty staples or nails to keep the rug in place.
8. Under an Adjustable Height Desk:
Place a rug under your adjustable height desk. Fold over one corner of the rug and make sure that it’s entirely out of the way. Then, place your desk on top of the folded side.
9. Under an Electric Standing Desk:
Lay a flat sheet on top of the floor, and place an area rug on top of the sheet. Make sure that all sides are flush with the edges of the sheet and all sides of the area rug are flush with each other. Use heavy-duty staples or nails to keep the rug in place.
10. Under a Fixed Height Desk:
Place an area rug underneath your desk. Make sure there isn’t any extra space between the edge of the rug and the desk’s legs, and that all sides are flush with each other. Use heavy-duty staples or nails to keep the rug in place. You may also want to use a piece of plywood as a barrier between the desk and the rug, to prevent slipping.
Some Tips and Tricks:
- The first thing to do is prepare the materials. These include a flat, sturdy rug and an anti-slip pad underneath it.
- Next, lay down your anti-slip pad under the bottom of your desk to stop it from sliding or moving around on the carpeting.
- Place the rug you selected over top of the anti-slip pad. Ensure that it covers the entire surface of the anti-slip pad, and there are no gaps between your rug and the anti-slip pad, or else your desk will not sit on it correctly.
- Now, put your desk down on top of the rug to make sure it fits. If it does not, consider changing rugs or changing where you bought them (or if you didn’t buy them, try to borrow one).
- Once you have found an anti-slip pad and rug that fit together, lay the leg(s) of your desk on top of it, making sure that each leg is resting on both the rug and the anti-slip pad.
- Reattach any legs to your desk that are not attached already, using either screws or bolts depending on how sturdy they are. Then tighten them back onto the rest of the desk using a screwdriver or a wrench.
- Now test the desk to see if it’s sturdy, or else lay down on top of it to keep it from moving around. When you feel comfortable with how stable the desk is, pull up a chair and start working!
There are a few things to keep in mind when placing a rug under your desk. First, you should have it placed underneath the front of your feet and not too close to the back or side because this can cause discomfort from being squished into one area. Secondly, if there’s space between where you sit and what sits on top of the ground, then place something soft like an old towel or fabric mouse pad not to hurt your knees as much while working for long periods.
Finally, make sure to test out different rugs before purchasing one by sitting at workstations with them underneath both bare feet and wearing shoes- some people find they prefer carpets over mats while others prefer the opposite. This is all about what you like best! We hope this blog post on how to place a rug under a desk has been helpful. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!